Scratches on PSA slabs

I have a question for you people who have had many PSA graded cards for a long time. How necessary are plastic sleeve protectors on PSA slabs? I am thinking about getting some formerly know as perfect fit sleeves now known as superior fit sleeves (Superior Fit Sleeves for PSA Graded Card Slabs)
But do i really need them if I will just have a couple cards and don’t rub them around alot? How easy is it to scratch a PSA slab?

This is an interesting question. I think we pay more attention than we should to case condition. That said, all my cards go straight from a PSA box into sleeves so I’d be a hypocrite to say it doesn’t matter. I’ve had people trade me bad cases with a better condition card for a better case with a lesser condition card lol.

1 Like

New mantra: buy the case, not the card.

6 Likes

The way I see it, if I’m paying a lot of money for a card with little to no scratches, why would I be ok with scratches on the case?
That’s why I take matters into my own hands and use PlastX to polish my cases.https://instagram.com/p/BhF91QVAMYP

12 Likes

Definitely would recommend the sleeves. Unfortunately most of my cases come scratched right from psa.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! You answered my question. I’ll get some sleeves :blush:

1 Like

I have a psa 10 fossil Gengar 1st ed, that was my first graded card. I bought it back in 2012, left it in the sleeve/baggy it came in and put it in the closet. Years later when I was resleeving my cards I found that it was scratched to hell so I’m curious to try out that PlastX because it looks like the holo is scratched up as well :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

When you send a slab in for the reholder service, do the change the label as well, or just the slab?

@pokemoncardproject,
Label too.

They don’t regrade it as well, do they?

Nope just install a new case and print an updated label with the new format using the old serial and grade.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of PlastX. Is it some sort of buffing compound? I have a graded shadowless pack that has a couple bad scratches on the back. I might have to try this!

Edit: never mind! I couldn’t see the image for some reason when I posted this

It’s designed for car headlights. It takes out light scratches from PSA cards easily, especially that light scratchy swipe I often see straight out of the submission return box. You can also rub out deep scratches with repeated application

2 Likes

@zacheggers You can find it at Walmart in the Auto section. It works pretty well for light scratches. Deeper scratches require some elbow grease. If you get some, be sure to have good cross ventilation when you’re applying it!

1 Like