Scheduled Discord Chat 2 (thanks for coming)

HAPPENING NOW

Why did that thread (thepokemonuncutsheetā€™s AMA) get lockedā€“incidental self-promotion? (Since when is that not allowed?)

Many people seemed to be interested, asking good questions, and learning.

you should come on discord and have a discussion about it

2 Likes

Okay, cool, thanks for the invite! Iā€™ll look for the next one.

There were a couple posts that were deleted. Self promotion was the gist of it, but Scott summed it up perfectly with his last comment.

Smpratteā€™s last comment does not seem to explain the lock at all. He entirely ignored the predominant purpose of the thread: sharing information in which many people were clearly interested. And he seemed to rely on a rule that either does not exist or is applied arbitrarily: Even direct self-promotionā€“posting entire threads dedicated to showcasing collections or sharing photos from oneā€™s Instagram, for instanceā€“has been permitted.

So locking an interesting thread from which many people were learning and in which the OP was only incidentally promoting himself was (and still is) particularly puzzling and disappointing.

But thatā€™s just currently my perspective and please feel free to add if you can!

@lexleo See Gemmintā€™s post below.

He wasnā€™t answering any of the questions.

I would say a handful or more people on this site could share 80% of what he knows. Many people in the community helped facilitate or at least have had the same opportunity to buy the sheets he owns. It was his opportunity to shine as the owner of the sheets and share his unique experience across building a very specific collection. Instead, he said he didnā€™t have time for questions or heā€™d answer them later, etc. I donā€™t understand why someone would put themselves out there and then not follow through or respect their audience. In multiple posts he referenced other places to find the answers which would directly benefit OP.

The best part about efour is being open with all parts of the hobby. It insults character of this forum to dangle information with other motives in mind.

4 Likes

smpratte is on discord right now, come on and ask him

1 Like

Andrew(thepokemonuncutsheet) is a different sort who makes it hard on others to like him. I like him though cause of the passion he puts into his collection as well as the trials he has to overcome on a daily basis.
I would have preferred if scott left the thread going but at least he recommended a collection thread.

We as collectors are all different, and it takes all types. A lot could be learned from Andrews journey.

2 Likes

To say the least.

I donā€™t dislike him either. People can earn respect for different reasonsā€¦ and heā€™s still a part of the community and a fan of what we all collectively enjoy.

Ironic that weā€™re confirming his initial comments in talking about him, but I suppose itā€™s necessary. A collection thread would have been a great way to share and interact, but at the core that wasnā€™t what Andrew wanted, and I donā€™t expect that will change.

1 Like

So I didnā€™t have the chance to join in the conversation, but I did make a discord account and crept on the ā€œgeneralā€ text threadā€¦ man that place is like ADHD. Maybe itā€™s because I am in my mid-twenties and Iā€™m slowly become less of a cool kid everyday? Or I just donā€™t interweb well?

1 Like

Feel the same in here xD i was there for a while and couldnā€™t find the entrance, too many things at the same timeā€¦ cool kid is everyone who collects Pokemon cards though, so you are safe there :blush:

1 Like

If you believe that he ā€œwasnā€™t answering any of the questions,ā€ my good sir, Iā€™d suggest taking another look at the locked thread. Plainly, he was answering several questions (even if not to your personal satisfaction, even if with information you consider to be ā€œregurgitatedā€). The fact that ā€œa handfulā€ of people ā€œcouldā€ share ā€œ80%ā€ of what he knows is irrelevant: Many efour members were interested in and learning from what he had to say, even if only on that 20% this mystery handful of people couldnā€™t also share.

More fundamentally, you havenā€™t addressed the fact that (a) even direct self-promotion has been permitted on efour and (b) uncutsheetā€™s promotion was incidental at most. Please cite the rules (hopefully no ex post facto!) or precedents relied on to lock his thread, and please distinguish the many other cases in which mods have permitted efour members (1) to share information that some other members happen to know and (2) to promote themselves incidentally.

Otherwise, locking the thread will continue to appear to be an act of unecessary and unprincipled censorship motivated by personal feelings, Iā€™m sorry to say.

Iā€™ve only been in it once for about 15 minutes without participating and thought the same thing lol.

1 Like

On the value of allowing the thread to continueā€“and the unfortunate quality of the lockā€“I submit the expert testimony of Dr. King Charizard, Ph.D!

So ill break it down for you lex as you dont seem to understand what an ama actually is. So out of 12 questions asked, 3 were answered, 3 were given such vague answers that no information was given, 2 were refused to answer and 4 were ignored. So essentially that means 25% of questions were given actual answers. What is the point of an ask me anything if you arent given answers?

1 Like

So the thread wasnā€™t locked because of ā€œself-promotionā€ but because of displeasure with the quality of the answers? (You should confer with Smpratte re: his last post on the thread. And If you want to rely on the ā€œself-promotionā€ angle, please cite the rules or precedents and draw the distinctions I requested above.)

You could reasonably criticize the quality of uncutsheetā€™s answers (even though I and others were learning). Go ahead. Thatā€™s what you should have done in a post *on* the thread, not with a lock *of* the thread.

In sum, sire, your response here does not justify a lock.

(Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, butā€¦!!) Youā€™re annoying as hellā€¦are you here just to debate/argue with other members? jesusā€¦

1 Like