scammed on the biggest card I have ever purchased. Resolved!

Bought a PSA 10 Championship Charizard on ebay that cost me all in $1700 CAN, the most I have ever spent on a single item.

I just noticed earlier today that the card was marked as delivered on July 8th which was very odd since I did not receive it. Then I realized on that exact date I got a random bubble mailer with about 20 random common cards. I double checked the date on discord because I talked about how I got a mysterious package with common cards I never ordered.
I messaged the seller and they replied with this.

“I don’t think I sent a ziplock. The envelope color is correct the label is wrong. I had a feeling sending something this high of dollar could end up with issues. I hope something happens soon. I figured everything was okay since you’ve had it for a week or so. Are you on IG?”

Immediately knew this was a scam especially since they wanted to talk to me on Instagram instead of ebay and seemed to be hinting that the item or package was somehow swapped during shipping. I didn’t reply and just opened a return case for “wrong item sent”

This is the ebay seller so you know to never buy from them.

www.ebay.ca/usr/cctcgsales?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I have never had to deal with a scam for such a high dollar amount so I am feeling a little lost. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

1 Like

That’s weird they’ve been on ebay since 2009 with perfect feedback. Their IG is also weird - has 1k followers, but 0 posts and is not following anyone. Unless they decided to start scamming recently this is pretty unusual imo. But eBay will side with you if you open a case and explain the situation. I wouldn’t be overly concerned but stay on top of responding to any info that eBay requests.

5 Likes

I could easily see that happening to me because I get so many cards in the mail all the time that I forget what I even ordered or what is coming.
thank you for sharing your situation, I am going to be careful of something like that in the future.

I wish I had any solid advice.
if it makes you feel better, I was scammed as well yesterday, for 450$ on a card. I don’t want to share the details yet though. maybe one day…

2 Likes

Small update, the seller claims it’s not his package because the label is different. Ebays global shipping program put a new label over his.
I peeled the label off, shined a light through it to reveal the old label underneath, took a picture and flipped the imagine since it was backwards.

His address and original tracking number are on the bottom label proving this is 100% the package he sent me.

After I proved it was the package he sent me he said the common cards in the package were “freebies” and he doesn’t know where my card went.

4 Likes

Open a case against the item. Does the Pitney Bowes GSP label will include the package weight on the label? If so that’ll be a very good sign that the card was never in there.

3 Likes

But why do this on eBay? Unless youre exit scamming, the buyer wins

Sometimes ebay will pay the buyer out of their own pocket, his 11 years and 100% feedback on ebay may sway them to take a financial hit to keep all parties happy.

4 Likes

Shit like this pisses me off so much because of my strong opinions on how unfair and one-sided eBay’s “policing” strategies are in regards to offering no protection to sellers over horrible manipulative buyers, but then you read shit like this and you’re like damn poor buyer you know. Ebay is very easy when it comes to the whole “product no described” buyer claim, so open that up right away. I’m really not sure entirely to advise you to be transparent off the bat with the fact that you discovered the other label right away… it sucks for real, but it’s like cracking the code to a puzzle every time with these people. As for how the fraud goes: (this is highly documented online, and complains are widespread) he simply used the global shipping service (which is the only way to give a seller pretty much any chance at winning a case against a buyer) and then applies a perfect second label.

(1) you can buy these labels online. People often spam a wide range of shipping labels they can provide for dollars and even admin access to some of the phished accounts for more $$.

(2) as for the argument he’s been selling since 2009, exit scam is always a possibility. But most people exit with a bigger $ amount? So it’s also likely the account was just purchased as either a phished account (actually belonging to someone), or is just a smurf account (was built up gradually over years and then gets put into marketplaces to be purchased to be used for scams like this)

(3) your credit card can charge back the amount thats attached to your paypal in the event they’re playing games with you, but that might cause some type of strain on your relationship with paypal and your account tenure and such, but again it’s your right and you’re entitled to what’s fair

(4) in the event the seller is being honest, then it’s just a case of inside jobs and people internally working in fulfillment or what not who do dubious things, but that’s up to the seller to argue once the refund is forced and for ebay to investigate

(5) he’s asking for your IG, he might be suggesting you reach out to him to then tell you about participating in his plan which could include suggesting you file the insurance claim with the courrier, receive your $ back and he either (a) will transfer you some $ off what he gained or (b) then send you the card for real privately at a discount, since he still wins. **but this seems way toooo far fetched and too elaborate for such a tiny amount**

(6) Don’t engage in the IG stuff, from what I’ve read and seen and heard from others and my own experience, any talk that breaks eBay’s codes or rules or whatever greatly puts your case or an argument or a chance at discussion at risk even if it’s dancing around a thin grey line you know…

(7) but when all is said and done, this is an easy chargeback for you especially in Canada any of the big banks have really no problem charging back amounts from online retailers, so your money is definitely recoverable and there isn’t any ghost system that labels you an X way for abuse or too many chargebacks in a timeframe or lifetime, etc. that’s mantra for paypal, ebay, and the courriers lol

Sorry for the double post, I was trying to find the name of the sub on reddit that promotes this crap

r/IllegalLifeProTips → for a plot twist, you can post your story as a scammed individual without mentioning specific details of the product or the niche, and ask them what kind of scam is this that the seller engaged in?

r/eBaySellerAdvice → can post on the seller aspect, see if they could shed any light or offer better advice on how to process the claim especially if its your first one, again plot twist going to the seller-based sub to ask about a buyer problem

or just simply r/eBay

Who in the world sends common “freebies” with a $1700 card. I’d be willing to bet they were there to add weight to the package.

8 Likes

Just glad that this should work out for you as the buyer, luckily in these situations you will get your money back.

At the moment I have the opposite fear. I’ve been selling on eBay for 10 years and never had any significant issues, though then again I’ve never sold anything worth more than £500. The more individual items in my collection grow in value, the more hesitant I am to sell them on eBay (if I ever wanted to, that is). like f**k am I selling a £2500-3000 card on eBay when the buyer could simply file an INAD case & send me back a brick in the mail. My fear is so great that I’ll only sell in person, which is frustrating because I’ll have to offer for a lower price due to the all-round hassle of selling in person. Urgh, so many people suck.

8 Likes

Yup you have subs like the one I referenced to thank for this, it’s disgusting. How eBay was perceived pre 2013 to buyers as a place riddled with scammers and counterfeits and a place to get frauded or gamed, etc. when they added their buyer protection program after that to compete against Amazon’s hassle-free buyer-centric refund policies it was game over for honest seller’s who aren’t part of their top seller programs and shit… it’s like so scary right now for someone who wants to sell things that are so prized for them and sentimental and valuable, to finally take the plunge and then to get scammed, not only lose the $, lose the product and also most likely have to put up a serious fight with eBay to manage any type of closure… from a financial perspective I’ve been saying for YEARS that ebay is a short it’s a sell and never will be a buy for me I don’t care what short-term gains people make investing in them as a company, eBay’s long-term outlook is bleak as they scare away thousands of potential sellers and invite thousands of scammers and fleecers

1 Like

@andyk, i almost always include extra cards, usually of the same pokemon/ type. granted, i would most likely send vintage or language variations for higher dollar orders. i figure extra artwork is extra artwork, and most people appreciate a little extra anything.

@sacari So sorry to hear that man! I hope you get your money back soon with no complications. I recently got scammed on two small dollar transactions which has me almost lost for words. One for $7 another for $13. I didn’t realize people went out of their way to make fake cards of ones only worth a few bucks. On a high value scam like what happened to you would trigger bad anxiety for me. But like everyone has said you should without a doubt get your money back!

1 Like

That’s a bummer. Stay on ebay and work through their process. As others have said you’ll get your money back. I got scammed on a $30k comic book in 2018. TMNT#1 high grade copy. An empty box arrived in the mail. Seller had high feedback too. A hallmark of the scam I went through, like yours, were the shady messages that started coming from the seller about the package. “The UPS guy had a funny look when he took the package. Just wanted to make sure everything is ok”. After 30-days of hounding ebay, filing a police report etc I got my money back. I am testifying against the seller next week (virtually) as he is still trying to pursue a false insurance claim with UPS (this was his original intention) and I want to make sure he doesn’t get paid. I am helping UPS.

22 Likes

@jonandek thanks for the comment. I actually loosely recall that you are supposed to file police reports in situations like this if the value is over $1000?
Should I be doing that? Should I inform the seller I will be doing that? I have this persons complete address and name. I would think the pressure from that might just make them give me a refund and I can avoid some headache.

1 Like

I just check and it does! The weight of the package says “3 ounces” if a raw PSA case would have been inside the toatal weight would of been 4.9 ounces. Amazing suggestion and just more evidence for me. Thank you so much.

6 Likes

The title of this thread sounds like a LeonHart video title.

Sorry to hear this happened though, sucks that people out there have no remorse when it comes to scamming others.

10 Likes

PSA cases weigh about 1.5 oz

It sounds like the seller knew items lost or stolen are 100% covered by the eBay global shipping program. It sounds like the seller potentially wanted to send you random cards, and keep the valuable card himself in hopes eBay would eat the cost.

1 Like