Sale prices for bad condition Trophies in Japan

I was watching 2 auctions lately that brought me to open this thread for discussion. A few days ago, this University Magikarp ended for almost 3k USD:

and the best you could with this card is to get it Authenticated by PSA + the “altered” indication on the label.
Today this 2003 Victory Ring ended for around 1.2k USD:

This card has some serious dirt on the top and whitening as well. I guess the best it could get is a PSA 5 whereas PSA 10 copies are offered at around 6k USD.

I know both of those cards are very rare and especially the Unikarp is highly desired but how does those prices fit to the market outside Japan?

Best Regards
Martin

2 Likes

Believe it or not, I received many more requests for my PSA1.5 Trophy Kangaskhan than any other trophy I’ve ever had.
The higher grades have an established market with figures that often time are unrealistic for a normal person.
These lower grades however allow you to get the real deal at a fraction, to a collector they accomplish the same result.
Recent auctions results may not agree with this but most of the difficulty with these cards is actually getting a copy in hand, regardless of conditions.
Let’s be honest, who is gonna see the difference between a 5 and a 10 when the card is sitting on your desk and all you want to do is enjoy it on a daily basis?!

15 Likes

The Magikarp was listed on Mercari last week

4 Likes

What I don’t understand is the, in my view, small gap between for instance a Unikarp Raw Condition with a line through it and a PSA 5 price but it seems like that there are a lot of people waiting for such cards to just have it

1 Like

If im not mistaken a psa 5 unikarp is about 7k. So a 4k difference is not a small gap to the average collector

How much would a 1 go for?

I guess the copy that sold on Yahoo will get nothing more but a PSA 1 so I guess ~3k

1 Like