"Pokemon Card 151" Set - General Discussion

Im disappointed that got phased out. It was still present in the expedition mew

1 Like

Oh yeah, you’re right. I never noticed it there either :joy:

okay so (speculation time) 165 cards in the set…

1-151 will be Bulbasaur to Mew
Special Art Rares for
Legendary Birds 152-154
155 - Mewtwo
156 - Mew
157 - 159 Bulbasaur to Venusaur
160 - 162 Charmander to Charizard
163 - 165 Squirtle to Blastoise
with 157-165 telling a story a la ralts ~> gardevoir?

1 Like

firstly, the 165 is 151 + trainers (items, tools, stadiums, supporters, special energy)

as for who will get special arts, my speculation is there will be a lot of pokemon who get the entire line printed on the card like we’ve seen already this gen

so far, (jp) sets have had 12 ARs and 5 SARs in each set with 3 of the SARs being pokemon and 2 being supporters. Of course, they could deviate from this since this is something of a special set, but either way, i would be surprised if they spent 9 of those slots on just the starters while neglecting so many kanto favorites (pikachu, the birds, dnight, mew/2, gengar, alakazam, machamp, etc). I think the way they will get around this is by condensing evolution lines onto a single artwork like above

1 Like

I think the cards 152-165 will be the Gym Leaders, Team Rocket, maybe the Elite Four.

This is the current layout of the set (rows of 5). Pokémon will occupy the first 151, followed by a combination of Trainer cards (Items, Tools, Supporters, Stadiums in this order). With Safety Goggles at 157/165 and Giovanni’s Charisma at 162/165, having all 8 gym leaders get a card will be difficult if they’re going to include Stadium cards as well. Pokémon 151 opens up lots of possibilities (base set references, etc) but it’s still a Scarlet & Violet set :melting_face:

4 Likes

Call me crazy but I wouldn’t care all if they didn’t include any special arts or secret cards and just had a really nice old school holo pattern on the equivalent base, jungle and fossil cards.

6 Likes

I think expecting all 151 to get AR/SAR to be just as extreme in the current stage of releases - TPC succeeds in delivering enough (but not everything) on a great idea to make you want more

1 Like

Venusaur ex
Blastoise ex
Charizard ex
Arbok ex
Wigglytuff ex
Ninetales ex
Alakazam ex
Golem ex
Kangaskhan ex
Jynx ex
Zapdos ex
Mew ex

10 Likes

Arbok? Love it

This set really makes me feel like we’re back in the XY era.

Arbok ex? Nice! Glad they gave him some love. Any card translations yet?

My biggest question is; What is a reliable place to get boxes?

My boy porygon! Really hope to see some extra arts with him

1 Like

These are my artist guesses:

1. Cubone line - sowsow

2. Oddish line - Sekio

3. Diglett line - Miki Tanaka

4. Gastly line is Tomokazu Komiya

5. Staryu line is Shinji Kanda

6. Machop line by AKIRA EGAWA

7. Eeveelutions by sui

8. Krabby line maybe Scav or tetsuya koizumi

9. Bellsprout line maybe Kyoko Umemoto

10. Magnemite/Poliwag maybe Asako Ito or Yuka Morii

Potentially Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle lines follow the revealed starters - Yuu Nishida, GIDORA and kantaro.

3 Likes

Counting on art rares that my boys are getting some goods :crossed_fingers: (unless it will be the same one as ex’s) but some nice choices as ex since it’s good that it’s not always the same gengar and mewtwo that get the goods, some obvious ones ofc like the starters but also some nice oddities. A bit odd that only zapdos out of the birds got ex but i’m glad it was my favourite out of them

They think with the money making machine. Not what we want.

Starter EXs would been great. But I guess the defaults will be Gengar, Dragonite, Eeveelutions for the SRs.

I’ll be the Debbie Downer for this one I guess. This whole enhanced set feels very “meh” to me. I don’t really have much nostalgia for the EX era (in true “true?” Genwunner fashion), so these cards just look like you could plop them in any modern set and they would fit right in. The meme posted earlier of the overly milked cow symbolizing Gen 1 hits the nail on the head. Don’t get me wrong, the arts are very nice on a lot of the cards, but I don’t feel any hype for this at all.

• This set is roughly double the size of Scarlet & Violet expansions released thus far. It also has double the number of Pokémon ex (12)
  • My guess is that 6 of the 12 ex will get a Special Art Rare, with the mascot Mew ex being the most obvious candidate; and 24 Art Rares based on content doubling overall. This could be a very good opportunity for the less popular mons to have a full art illustration (e.g. Seaking, Nidoran)
  • Unless high res images confirm otherwise, I don’t see any Pokémon terastal ex in this set
  • Will expect to see more complete artist evolution lines, not just in the regular set
2 Likes

here’s the full image for anyone curious where this came from

3 Likes