"Pokemon Card 151" Set - General Discussion

I’m hoping we get another Dragonair in the same area that it’s in in base set :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Even better, they make it holo as well.

3 Likes

Exciting! I hope Koffing/Weezing and the Golem line get some cool cards.

3 Likes

Curious to know what they’ll do with Hitmonchan. To play true to his roots as a super efficient base set attacker, it’d be cool if they gave him an ex with a Buzzwole GX’s Jet Punch style of attack. Maybe modified for more damage on the active or something - not sure. But how appropriate would it be for Hitmonchan to come back to the spotlight of donking evolving basics.

2 Likes

I don’t think every card is going to call back to the original cards.

Alakazam, Mew and Kadabra don’t.

Yeah, 2 of them are ex’s but none of the 3 had anything going on in the background.

It was a masterstroke that they had Mitsuhiro Arita do the art for the starters. Sugimori stock art would not have had the same lasting impact.

I’m positive most of the rest with stock backgrounds aren’t going to be restyled because there’s nothing there and they don’t have to be anyway for this set to be successful.

The Mew is surely a callback. The background colour makeup is quite similar - look to the yellow orb in the top left, to the small splash of purple to the left of Mew’s face, and to the bottom right where it’s a darker shade than the rest.

8 Likes

TPC is telling us through Mew ex that we’re in a bubble

7 Likes

The Kadabra is a callback to the original as mention by @inertgeometry above. And that was a Sugimori stock background card.

3 Likes

Please have the starters in AR rarity please. Gotta let other kanto pokemon get the SAR slots.

There are so many options for them to make some slam dunk AR’s and I really hope they stick the landing

I wonder if we will get a callback to Rocket grimer…

1 Like

Looks like the Charmander artwork has a shadow of a Charizard flying in the sky, if this hasn’t been mentioned.

11 Likes

didn’t notice it until now, lovely detail!!

2 Likes

Would love to see Charizard’s art mirror that interaction with Charmander. :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Great idea, like alt Aerodactyl but Charizard

1 Like

Exactly.

While I hope that the alt arts in this set are given to other Pokemon, I have to assume that Blastoise, Charizard, and Venusaur are in the running. :melting_face:

2 Likes

A nice find!

6 Likes

Or the ability-blocking Galarian Weezing. That bench attack combo would be pretty dangerous with a Pokemon with a similar ability (there certainly is precedent with the old Generations Wobbuffet too!).

@elena I never noticed the old Mew’s two-toned feet until now :sweat_smile:

Are we sure that’s not Flygon? :thinking:

1 Like

I’m getting Swoobat vibes

1 Like