Risk or worry with older PSA cards?

Hey guys,

To my knowledge PSA has changed a few things over their years such as the cases, the labels and the introduction of the holo signs.

I am looking at some pokemon base set cards and I am assuming they are older due to no logo.

After search for a couple on PSA with the serials, the older ones have very little information about them, only their condition. Is there a higher risk of these being fakes as they seem the easiest to create?

I wouldn’t worry about it, especially non holo card. No one is going to make a fake PSA slab for a $50 card. lol
Just check the case looks correct and it has the PSA logo on it. There have been people using generic cases and putting a real PSA label inside, this applies to new and old labels but it’s easy to spot.

No. I have never seen a convincing re-cased card in Pokemon or sports.

2 Likes

It would be nice for someone to make a guide showing the various different types of PSA cases through the years and how they changed.

This is 100% real though. Older cases do not have the PSA sticker on the front. You could always have PSA recase the cards, but there is no point.

In the smpratte video showing Gary from Pawn Stars putting his Charizard PSA 10 1st edition collection in a safety deposit box, you can see that his cards do not have the sticker on the front because they were graded a long while ago. If the $25,000 card didn’t need it, the $50 probably doesn’t need it either.

(That said, when I purchase on ebay, I typically choose the newer cases over the old ones if given the choice)

1 Like

This is the correct answer. It’s just doesn’t happened and there’s no reason to think it would anytime soon.
BUT allow me to be facetious for a moment. To make your statement invalid, you’d need to see a convincing fake. How do you tell the difference between a truly “convincing” fake and the real thing? :wink:

Good point

something that I am concerned about the older cases is that the labels often get wavy.
Does PSA recase those cards and if so, would they maintain their old grade?

Yes you can get them recased with the newest label type and they keep the grade

1 Like

nice, I might have to do that to a PSA10 card I have, it also happen to have the older, just silver logo from PSA.

If given the choice I’d go the other way…at least an older serial number over a newer one. Ideal for me would be an old serial number in a new case;)

I can think of 6 different cases label and or case design.

1 Like

If given the choice I’d go the other way…at least an older serial number over a newer one. Ideal for me would be an old serial number in a new case;)

I can think of 6 different cases, label and or case design.