RIP Gene Wilder

www.avclub.com/article/rip-gene-wilder-241833

Fantastic acting talent.

1 Like

2016 has been a rough year. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Ahhhhā€¦now that is a shame. Fortunately, memories never die and and he has left us with many:)

4 Likes

oh man. him and pryor were billiant in see no evil, hear no evil. of course willy wonka is my childhood :slightly_frowning_face:

shame

I always find it kind of strange how hard some people take it (or pretend to take it) online every time someone dies that they never met or knew or hardly ever talked about. I mean I know that is insensitive to sayā€¦ but people die every year and if you get hung up every time someone youā€™ve heard of dies you are gonna have a bad time. Itā€™s bad enough just dealing with the deaths of people you know in real life.

Condescending Wonka

2 Likes

Caring sells.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen many people go and have been touched many timesā€¦not ā€œhung upā€. Plus amazingly itā€™s never resulted in a ā€œbad timeā€.
Sometimes an actor or singer or activist like Martin Luther King for me, has done or said something that has made your life a little bit better. You almost feel like you do know them. When they pass, all those pleasant memories come flooding back.
Maybe you can relate it to Pokemon. Might we all be just a little bit melancholy if the franchise ended today;)

Oh, PSā€¦youā€™re an idiot Ketchum lol.

I guess you probably donā€™t have a Facebook and I know I shouldnā€™t either but I just think of the ridiculousness every time someone famous dies and it becomes a race for that same handful of overposters to post the first RIP status using the death to yell ā€œLOOK AT MEā€ to their whole Fakebook world. Leads to even more ridiculousness and people looking like asses 1-2 times a year when the person isnā€™t even dead yet.

Same thing when a tragedy happens and everyone races to the first ā€œsending prayers and loveā€ status and filter change on their profile picture.

Eh it is what it is and Iā€™m making comments about it that serve no real purpose either.

Posting a death notice before the person dies? Lol.
Reminds me of the quote, ā€œReports of my death are greatly exaggeratedā€!

@garyis2000 just a quick compilation of some provided by NY Daily News

Recent Celebrity Death Hoaxes

Many created as a hoax/joke and they propagate so quick because people fail to fact check and just want to be the first to harness various internet points that donā€™t matter (likes/shares/tweets/karma/whatever else there is)

It is a touch of narcissism at its finest. Itā€™s also a little bit of the illusion the entertainment industry creates for us. Some people feel as though they actually knew a celebrity just because they were fans. Itā€™s hard to really say if that part of the celebrity that is portrayed in media is actually a part of them or just a facade or just a money making scheme or what have you but itā€™s easy to see how someone can be sad about losing a part of their life that maybe that chunk of celebrity performance represented, even if it didnā€™t actually represent ā€œknowing themā€. After all when people die, we arenā€™t really sad that they donā€™t get to keep living, we are sad that they arenā€™t going to be part of our lives so I am not sure the context is so important. Again, narcissisim at its finest, but thatā€™s just kind of how people are.

1 Like

Not sure how a self entered or even an erotic interest in yourself relates to this (narcissisim). Maybe Ketchum was talking about you Sam when he talked about being hung up on someoneā€™s death. Yes someones death can evoke fond memories but donā€™t get carried away. Youā€™re taking it waaaay too seriously.

@garyis2000 I think its an age gap thing. I think Sam and I are both more on the same page and referring to the social media narcissists than anyone else.

Removing supposed seriousness and back to the original topic. He lived to 83; I hope I can make it that long. I didnā€™t know him at all but I saw him in some movies. They were okay.

1 Like

I meant when we lose a family member we are only really concerned with what ever worth they had to us rather than being concerned with their own self interest of living, assuming they had some. That seems really self centered to me but it just seems unnatural or sort of a contradiction to be any different. I donā€™t really know how we could even potentially view someones death from a different point of view. I guess you can kind of empathize with others, but usually itā€™s the absences of their presence in your own personal life experience that is bothersome. The context doesnā€™t really seem to matter in my opinion as I see similar scenarios having parallels. Such as the death of a celebrity, or a breakup, or losing a petā€¦or burning your collection psa 10 charizards

Yeahā€¦I guess they were no Sucker Punch or Paul Blart: Mall Cop but his movies were okšŸ˜‚

1 Like