Regrading PSA 9 Lugia

I don’t have much experience with regrading. Does anyone know if this is worth sending in for a regrade? imgur.com/a/ifT1rPw

It’s impossible to tell from a few pictures. There can be all sorts of minor things that would make it a solid 9 but unlikely to receive the 10 grade (holo scratches, slight corner/edge imperfections, surface issues). With front/back pictures really the only thing we can analyze is the centering and the corners/edges. They look good apart from a minor ding in the top left, if the rest of the card is perfect then it might be a regrade candidate, but again there are lots of minor issues that we can’t examine in pictures.

2 Likes

what exactly is the process for a regrade if you don’t mind me asking?

Crack it and submit it for grading.

3 Likes

A review (regrading a PSA card at PSA) submission costs about the same as a regular submission as I recall. Also I believe you can submit the minimum grade you will allow, as pretty much everyone set it the same as the current grade so it doesn’t drop. However, I learned from my friend who submitted a bunch for review that they usually keep the card at the same grade and just give you details at to why it received said grade. I would advise only sending in a very ‘strong’ candidate for review as the likelihood of it being upgraded isn’t probable.

1 Like

I guess that’s the one I sold you? Like I said before I think it’s probably a 10…

1 Like

If you can’t handle me at my strong psa 9 you don’t deserve me at me weak psa 10

10 Likes

I think I can see a small indent in the top back left corner. Very very small, but I feel like anything is possible for PSA to nitpick if they happen to spot it.

I’d be happy with the nine.

3 Likes

I agree, I’m pretty sure TLC warned us about chasing waterfalls.

2 Likes

The process is pretty simple.

Crack it out of the case.
Submit it for grading to PSA.
PSA flips a coin for a 9 or 10. If it lands on heads (for a 10), and is worth less than $100, it gets a 10. The higher the value, the more coin flip rounds have to be won ($250, best of 3 - $1000, best of 7, etc.). One of the several reasons PSA’s backlog of cards to grade is so large.

1 Like

@hypernova , the coin can also land on its side and give you an 8. Then you have to re-re submit and wait another 5 months to hope for your 9 back AND hope that the card doesn’t get damaged in the process.

1 Like

The back is 10 worth and so is centering and edges. Hence the surface must have holo scratches (which you may not be able to see easily without cracking it). I’d still recommend cracking it and taking a very close look at the holo and then send it in.