Real or fake 1st edition base set stamp? Misaligned?

My experience is that the middle of the T lines up with the edge of the border of the bottom left corner of the holo. To me this stamp looks too far to the left and too low as well comparing it to other first edition base cards I’ve owned.

The owner has said it is possible to have misaligned legitimate 1st edition stamps but I’ve not heard that before. Can anyone confirm?

My experience also matches with a article from CGCs website see below.

I wouldn’t touch it.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, is it a raw card or is it in a slab? Not that a slab always is a 100% guarantee of a legit stamp but it does give a buyer potential backing (and recourse, if needed). But generally speaking I avoid 1st Edition stamps I don’t trust, and my experience agrees with yours as well.

Also, is this seller on ebay or a public selling platform? And if so, do they have any other 1st Edition base cards for sale? Curious what the stamps look like on those cards if they have any.

Edit I would also add, if the seller is making the claim that “misaligned 1st Edition stamps occurred”, it’s their job to show support for their claim. Totally in your purview to ask them to provide some sort of support for that when it is outside the overwhelming bank of data supporting the opposite claim.

It looks real to me… Look at multiple of them on ebay. A lot of them look like that to me, so either there is a huge grading company scandal or it’s normal.

1 Like

Need @smpratte in here. He did a video a while ago on this.

1 Like

It is PSA graded, but I have seen other fakes been encapsulated before. Not saying it is definitely fake just that it goes against what I know to pass as a legitimate stamp which is why I was hoping to clarify this.

The card is on eBay right now, seller has other slabs but not all with the same stamp issue. It’s a well known seller. Link to the card below:

Look for an old cert # :boxing_glove:

1 Like

Seems real to me too…
I wouldn’t look too much in difference from the “best looking real stamp”.
Looking at how they cut the borders sometimes (with an axe, probably) I wouldn’t mind a little off-center 1ed stamp

Yeah, normally, I’d want to see that ‘T’ a tiny, TINY bit further to the right, BUT it is really close. We’re talking less than a mm here, but I usually expect the ‘T’ to have it’s stem’s Right edge directly underneath the Left edge of the illus frame border…

1 Like