Random Lot Buyers, What would you pay?

So here is a little game I want to play with you all.

I’m starting to try and pick up cards lots as hopes to piece apart and keep my ebay stock full ect. I’m bad an valuating lots and was curious what people might expect to pay for some more difficult ones to valuate. I want to compare my prices with your own to I can refine my own price judging abilities.

So I’m curious what each of you would pay for this lot with just this information. Lots of risk/reward?

Basic info :
Sat in storage for years.
Bulk NM or better: Looks like 500+ from pics
2 binders full of rares/holos

Booster packs split open, but cards remain, so you can’t expect to directly resell the packs.
Looks like 17 packs of team rocket, but you can’t be sure if all 1st edition
7 packs of base set 2.

Pics

For bulk, I always count it out and never add it up in the total price i’m willing to pay. ( considering its normally only a couple bucks)
For the holos shown, i’d pay at most what I could sell them for in MP / LP even if they say NM +
I’d also count the packs as bulk. Because it seems that its all rocket / BS2 holos are in the binders… So they were most likely all taken out of the packs.

So in the end, if it were me, My total price for this lot would be only the price i’d add up for the holos shown, or how many the listing said were included.

And maybe throw in 10 bucks for the binders

If the rocket packs are all 1st edition for example, that is (if each rare was removed) 17 x 10 = 170 cards. I sell 1st edition singles all day from TR boxes I opened for $1.20 each. To me that is $200 in value right there you are overlooking that I personally would account for.

That being said, they would all need to be NM+ and all 1st edition packs which in this lot is unknown.

Yeah thats just my personal take on it. That 170 cards could take months / years to move. But you’re defiantly right.

I always buy lots like this where only a couple photos are shown as a high risk lot. Which is why id only pay the minimal amount with little to no chance to lose money. But thats just me

This particular lot sold over $200, so I was trying to see how people were arriving at that value. From what you’ve said you wouldn’t have paid near that much.

Correct. I actually remember seeing this lot when it came up I think around a week ago?

It was for what, $250 with a best offer option if I remember correctly. Yeah I wouldnt of gone higher than half that based on those 3 pics. Although I’m sure a profit could of been turned on this eventually. Just not for me.

Ask for more pictures or a more detailed description on the cards. Most people selling a collection probably collected awhile ago or its a mom selling off her kids collection. I always look to see if the seller has other cards listed and look at the recent feedback to see if they sold any other cards. If not then they probably didn’t cherry pick the collection which is what you want to see. Also keep note to how the pictures look. You want nice pictures, cards in sleeves, binders and organized. But do the binders look clean? Do the toploaders look real cloudy and scratched up? Are the cards in sleeves in toploaders? These are all signs I usually use to determine how well they took care of the cards. Can’t guarantee any conditions based on this but I feel it definitely has helped me make a lot better bulk lot purchases.

As for price though I’d want to know more information on how many cards, how many 1st ed, holos etc. I don’t like to gamble on lots too often unless I think it will sell fast.

1 Like

Well put…

These lots always seem to go for quite a bit more than I value them at. Definitely ask more pictures, it will give you an edge on other bidders and give you a way better idea of value.

There’s a complete base set that went for $305 yesterday. Included in the lot was a Shadowless Venusaur which caught my attention. Seller advertised the cards as GEM MINT(lol). I have asked for a couple close ups and lets just say you’re lucky if you get any card graded above a 7. Also every card is loose in binder pages and the way seller intends to ship them is less than ideal.