Quick price check

Is this the typical cost of a first edition Charizard? I thought they were more in the 5k range.

PSA 10 1st edition Charizard

It is now, unfortunately. Last year they maxed around $5k but now people really want the few that are in circulation. The card is worth what people will pay…and if they are paying $11k 4 days out you better believe it’s worth more.

$13,170 - anyone know of other sales this high? If these were at 5k just a year ago, this seems like a crazy spike.

They have been selling higher than 5k for awhile now. I believe another hit 5 figures recently. Its all about market availability with this card.

Is this the highest you’ve seen?

I think @pokemonrevolution sold one for higher but can’t be certain

12k private sale. Lower sale price but didn’t get hit with a 1.2k~ ebay fee.

2 Likes

I think eBay fees cap at $250. Classic them that haves gets. :wink:

It’s all about the supply and demand, and with the steadily increasing demand it won’t get cheaper :blush:

If you have a store it caps at $250, if you don’t it’ll go to $750. Big incentive for high value item dealers to get a store, as one item at the highest cap will save enough $ to cover the cost for 2+ years at the basic store level.

@kickstand54 I said this in the giant auction thread, when I had mine listed I was getting 15-20k offers.

1 Like

I’ve had a couple dozen offers over 10k in the last 3/4 months but I don’t want to break up my collection. I do have one not in my lot which I might just put up cause of these prices. Problem is I know they will just go higher.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, thanks for the info. I had no idea they capped it.

PWCC is notorious in the sports card world as having shilled auctions. Cant say for sure on this card, but people often talk about him on other sports card forums I belong to.

His cards for some reason always sell above market value ( sometimes 25% - 30% ). A lot of the time with these sales, they are relisted 2 weeks - 1 month later.

Its kind of like that with the big ebay consignment guys, a lot of them seem to deal with “unpaying bidders” more often than the average ebay seller. From what the guys on the other forums think, this happens way too often with PWCC. Expect to pay much more than market value, or watch your bid fall short as 2nd highest, only to have it relisted later down the road.

PWCC has a much larger reach and reputation, that is the main reason for their premium prices IMO. They do a lot of advertising, and also have a phenomenal selection of product.

I would lean on the side of non-paying buyers in their situation, as I experience it myself so frequently I rarely run bid auctions. I did 3 bid auctions last week, the first time probably in 6 months, and sure enough was hit with a 0 feedback winner from Cambodia.

1 Like

This could be the case as well. He does deal with high volumes so he could have a ton of non paying bidders. Its just too much of a coincidence IMO. Its crazy to think that people are willing to pay a 25 - 30% mark up on their cards just because it comes from a certain seller … madness some may say =P

I very rarely use auction style when selling on ebay as well, but never got hit with those 0 feedback non paying bidders from unorthodox countries. I use BIN/BO a ton, and still get hit with non paying BOs, but they are usually from NA.

I think it has more to do with scarcity + their marketing, reputation and service. They typically list a lot of items that are extremely scarce, sometimes their copy is the only available copy. For example, the Charizard card rarely appears for sale in psa 10 condition. Therefor, its sale price will most like be greater than the previously sold example. Especially considering this was the only copy available when the auction ended.

Some of their items that are readily available don’t have the same 20-30% increase. However, the items that are very infrequent, or their copy is the only available copy definitely have the higher margin.

1 Like

This crossed my mind when I started the thread and was hoping it would come up. It does sound however that this price is not too outlandish compared to some of the offers mentioned above.