Questions on yahoo jp?

Hey everyone,

Just two short questions…

1. What happens if you get item not as described from yahoo jp via a proxy service?

2. Is there any way to send a seller a message to ask about condition of the cards or otherwise, without a japanese phone number?

na

1 Like

Similar to what I was asking. I guess you are SOL lol. Prices are lower for a reason

But PayPal protection still applies?

sure, if you want to get banned.

1 Like

just buy it, if you don’t like it, set it on fire

4 Likes

Yeah they have no buyer protection, and you can’t message sellers.

That’s why even if it is considered beauty goods to the amateur eye, if you are nervous, you should please refrain from bidding.

18 Likes

Best comment ive seen in a long time

1 Like

How about searches? Is it possible to do stuff like

1. excluding results (NOT), the same as ebay syntax (-) ex:
    pokemon -figure -toy

2. using “OR”, ebay syntax is (,) ex:
    (pokemon, pocket monsters) -figure -toy

I had this issue a while back ago when I received a 1st Edition card that was listed as Unlimited. Turns out the seller was selling both versions and accidentally switched. In the future, I’ve just purchased both versions to cover my butt.

As for your first few questions, you’re only able to use third-party services like buyee to send a message to a seller BEFORE A PURCHASE. This isn’t always guaranteed though.

As for advanced search options, I use buyee for that: buyee.jp/item/search/advanced/yahoo/auction?

It allows for words to be excluded and such, granted, you still have to use Japanese for it to work in the majority of cases.

1 Like

I only plan to buy one maybe 2 items from yahoo, so if it’s NAD I’ll just take the ban

I’ve always thought the uneven playing field that is YJA gives way too much power to the sellers (imagine if eBay was like that). My understanding is that proxy services don’t or rarely leave negative feedback, so if an item is fake or not as described the buyer gets the short end of the stick. Not to mention it is usually weeks later before the buyer receives the item.

I’ve definitely noticed a few YJA sellers who try to take advantage of international buyers who are buying via proxy. But when the alternative is higher eBay prices for the same items, most people still choose to buy via proxy.

I would say to try to recognize the red flags (poor pictures, negative reviews, white backgrounds) and Google Translate is your best friend.

1 Like

Super helpful on all counts. Thanks a lot

1 Like

Its going to cost me almost $600 CAD to ship 23 boxes of shiny V. DHL is out to lunch and im paying…fml.

1. Unfortunately no
  2. You can on your own but not through a proxy service

My friend won a Japanese Auction and the card had severe dents running down it horizontally. Only two pictures on the auction were shown and the card appeared to be at least a PSA 7-8 in condition.

To prevent this:

-The proxy service can provide photos of your items upon arrival, but getting them to take pictures to validate the condition the card was pictured in might cause its own difficulties. And on top of that, you might not be able to return it unless something really egregious happened.

-If only a front and back picture is shown that does not give you a clear picture of the condition, especially if they’re in a card sleeve, I would steer clear.

-It goes without saying, you have to adopt the mentality that if you’re buying raw, especially overseas, consider the money lost until the card arrives

I made a 5KG package the dimensions of a shiny star v case of 20 boxes with no additional packaging. It cost 4000 yen, I have attached an image.
That is for 20 boxes (would be really close on weight though), so your 23 should be easy 8000 yen or under. 20 boxes in the original box are around 5KG so 10KG in 2 packages is way more then enough weight and cubic weight. This price includes all surcharges, so it’s just not list price it’s actual price.This package is sent to Toronto. If you live in the boonies and I mean real boonies like some small town in the middle of nowhere, then the price could be 2.5-3 times due to remote area delivery charge.

My Own Package - 1 Piece - 5 kg (39 X 30 X 11 cm)

Either you guy is ripping you off or they don’t have a DHL account and are going through someone else or are doing the cheap price high shipping to get people to buy, thinking great price but turns out to be average or higher price.

If I wanted to send 2KG to USA with UPS myself or using My Mailbox it’s almost 20,000 yen, PSA doesn’t accept DHL so I can quote this off the top of my head, they want 10x what I pay with DHL. So, it’s not just DHL all the couriers are the same if you don’t have a business account and ship with them regularly.

While it won’t help you now, at least you have an idea what the cost will be for future purchases.

My tip to everyone. DHL is cheap up to 5KG, after that they get more expensive. Anything over 6kg is cheaper to get sent in 2 packages.

1 Like

This is being done through buyee.
It weighs 6.1 KG
It costs $314 Prior to customs/duty/import and im assuming because its a $2000 package the customs will be 12% of that ($240) so $554 unless im missing anything. Part of the $314 i should mention is for shipping from the original seller to buyee, but thats only 2000 yen/$25 cad

I live in nanaimo, not the sticks by any means. Not a massive city though, around 80,000 people and only a 2 hour boat ride from Vancouver.

All in all i think DHL is inferior to Japan post. The speed is not worth 5x the price. I would be sending it via surface if i wasn’t committed to selling these boxes already. For me to send a package like this (i sent a similar amount of volt tackle) last month with japan post cost me $70 and only took 9 business days. DHL usually takes 3-5 business days. I would never willingly choose DHL