Questionable Shadowless 2 Player Starter Set Deck

Hey guys, has anyone ever seen or opened a 2 Player Starter with this kind of plastic wrap? plastic and hang tab seem to show age consistent with a 20 year old product, and the sticker adds more credibility, but as far as I know WOTC never used this type of plastic on these decks?

1 Like

I assume the sticker is on the wrap? Or under it?
Plus, shake it and describe the sound. Does it rattle or thunk!

sticker is on top of the wrap, shaking the deck you can hear the damage counters rattle and the sealed decks inside thump, - will mention that ive got 3 regular shadowless decks that all sound the same

Can’t speak to the wrap but the contents sound shadowless.

2 Likes

first time I have seen a wrapping like that on a 2 player deck.to me in my view looks like it could have been tampered with and re shrunk

perhaps shrink could have been damaged - a very old rewrap by a store back in 1999?

I have opened a bunch of the Shadowless 2 Player Decks, I think I have had a least 3 different ‘types’ of plastic wrapping on them. There is the regular thin cellophane, and 2 which are thicker. I remember reading somewhere that the inconsistencies come from the fact that WOTC were so swamped with making demand that they really used any plastic shrink wrapping they could get their hands on to get these decks out. However I never saw confirmation of that.

3 Likes

interesting!, the plastic used to seal this deck actually feels a lot like the plastic used to sealed wotc era booster boxes

If it’s on top of the wrap, maybe a store placed it on it themselves so they could hang it on the shelves?

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

yep the hang tab is fine, its not unusual for these decks to have them, the plastic wrap is the questionable variable :grin:

1 Like

Ah, read incorrectly. Thought you were asking about the hang tab, but I see you mention the age shows by the hang tab and you’re asking about the wrap. My bad.

Greetz,
Quuador

I opened that exact variation (same wrap and hang tab) a few years ago.

The deck was indeed shadowless and the Machamp turned out to be thick stamp, but unfortunately it had some pretty nasty holo scratches so I never graded it.

Hopefully you’ll have better luck. :blush:

1 Like

Perfect! great news thanks for sharing

I love how much experience you have with these kind of products that you can provide an answer based on sound. :grin:

Probably from all the shaking by people wanting to know whether or not it is a shadowless deck. :wink:

2 Likes

Please send results if you open!

What are these worth when still sealed?

Maybe 150.00 Glenn.

I’ve opened a few like this, pretty sure mine was shadowless (always check the guide first!)

great thanks, have you had any luck getting 10’s? I’ve opened 3 or 4 and they have all had centering problems

That is the norm, centering is almost always off left to right…and if its not centering it has a small chip on the back or a print line on the front. I have HORRIBLE luck with 10s, I have no idea how many starters i’ve opened, but I know i’ve graded 2 10s and tons of strong 9s. It is a sneaky hard to grade 10, I think it gets overlooked because its Machamp.

2 Likes