Question about PSA grading SCORE cards for DBZ Dragon Ball Z

I don’t have my ultra rares here in binders so not sure what I have in URs. But I do have the below sets with some chases and preview cards. Is there anything in these worth grading?

I don’t think so. I think generally, the cards with value are URs, Ubers (except Buu saga Gotenks), foil rare or promo personalities of popular characters, and certain other promos (for example, the Cell saga promos are not really worth much except for P3 Kami’s Idea).

1 Like

Agree, i will be grading foil personalities, foil rares and ultra rares. Foils in score DBZ are so scarce. say its 1 in 3 booster packs, and every card can come in foil, it means if there is a 150 card set, to pull one type of foil, it is a 1 in 450 booster pack odds. Crazier than any pokemon set.

Anybody know of an easy to use price guide, along the lines of Pokémon price? I have at least two of every set shown in the pic with most the second set holos. I’d love to finally be able to price them and maybe grade a few:)

PM’d.

Yeah, I’ve always thought it interesting how an individual foil rare is actually rarer than the URs, though it doesn’t have the same glamour and value. One of my favorite card is Trunks 4 from the Trunks saga, and it took me years to find a limited copy in mint condition.

It’s also interesting how limited cards seem to be much rarer for some sets (like Frieza, Trunks, and Cell) vs others (like Cell Games, Fusion, and Kid Buu). The cards are so condition sensitive, too, with the black backs.

I’m not sure about the future of Score Z, but it’s had pretty explosive growth over the years and especially in the last three or so. The demand is low, but the supply is practically nonexistent. There are just so few opportunities to pick up limited URs and foil personalities. A couple of years ago, I passed up an opportunity to pick up a limited Goku, the Unbeatable for $325. Now there hasn’t been one on eBay in forever (save one that was in terrible condition). I wouldn’t be surprised to see the next one go $800+. I sold an extra limited SS3 Goku a few years ago for $200, and now I think it would easily fetch $1000+. All those limited booster boxes that were available for $200 just a couple of years ago are now worth many times that.

I’m very curious to see if a graded card market develops.

@crow,

Is there any non UR card I should check for in any of my sets pictured I should see if I have that’s worth anything?

I’m interpreting worth anything as something that I am guessing could get you like $30+ ungraded NMish condition right now. But the supply and demand is so low that it’s hard to really determine prices, so you’re sure to find a lot of variance.

Unlike for Pokemon, the original set (Saiyan Saga), which you have pictured, is not very desirable. There aren’t popular personality cards outside of the starter decks, the foil pattern is not as appealing and scratches like crazy, far worse than Pokemon holos, and the cards are generally not playable I think (but I’m not expert on the game). Plus Saiyan is just not a very popular Saga in the show.

I don’t see cards from Frieza Saga, the second set, but you do have the poster, so I’m not sure if you have cards. It’s actually a rarer set to find I think, especially in limited edition, but it’s not super popular, probably because it was very poorly executed (for example, somehow there is only one Frieza card in the set, and it’s his first form only). However, for foil rares, Vegeta on Namek and Goku on Namek are decent picks in limited edition, and maybe Gohan 4 and Piccolo 4 to lesser extents.

You also have a Trunks Saga poster; maybe you have those cards. That’s the third set, and in my opinion one of the two most valuable (along with Cell Saga, the fifth set). Foil limited Trunks, the Hero and Vegeta, Saiyan Prince are good ones (I would guess ungraded could be around $100), and probably even unlimited.

You have Cell Saga preview cards, which are from Androids Saga boosters. If you have other Androids Saga cards, I’d look out for foil rare limited Android 16, 17, and 18, and Vegeta the Ready.

Honestly, I think any Goku or Vegeta foil rare personality card is probably going to have some value. Future Trunks, Gohan, and Piccolo are generally good picks too.

1 Like

Pretty cool to see a resurgence in Score. At the time I felt Pokemon was the more sentimental and just better looking of the 2 card games so I never found myself chasing DBZ but I’d say what Bandai’s done with DBS has been amazing, both with the art and emotional attachment.

thanks @crow your breakdown above has been what ive been looking for for months. have wanted to get into score dbz for a while but no idea where to start. i gather panini is not desirable either? i have a box i picked up cheap but no idea whats inside just like the outside so keep it sealed.

Foil personailities and ultra rare are the way to go. Even in unlimited , they’re hard to come across in mint condition. The borders are black too, further making mint cards a challenge.

Not 1 card has been graded gem mint 10 yet and I think theres about 80-100 score cards graded now.

Theres been an awakening, as we speak I know of about 300 cards across multiple people getting ready to be graded.

Since people are discussing this now, I can share what I learnt when I was SUPER into collecting these a couple years ago. I pretty much managed to get all the set UR cards bar a couple, but I sadly had to sell out when money became tight and DBZ was on the chopping block before Pokemon.

Be wary when buying the Frieza Saga Goku UR, it has a Promo version that is very easy to mistake for the set card. The Promo is much more common.

The, technically, rarest set and by that virtue rarest URs are the ones from the Lost Episodes set (GT). The “Trunks, Super Saiyan” UR from that set was nigh on impossible to get a hold of but that may have changed.

Booster Boxes are even more of a crap-shoot than Pokemon. UR rates are generally 1 in 7 boxes across the board. However GT might be slightly better odds. Yeah…1/7 boxes.

The ‘Base Set’ of DBZ Score the ‘Saiyan Saga’ set isn’t all that desirable aside from completionists sake. The UR cards are not eye catching or sought after much.

There is a fantastic but abandoned resource for card scans and sub-sets out there retrodbzccg.com/card-images/

1 Like

Dang, crow and house. Great replies. I’ll be checking to see if I have any of those items.

What looks like posters in my pic are actually slipped into the binder covers. Full sets are inside as well as many foils,

A lot of UR cards come in a promo version. These are called GKI promos handed out at worlds in 2003. They are distinguished by having a 2003 year at the bottom and rather than having a set number in the top right, they have UR(mumber). Psa won’t grade these.

Is the Gen-Con Stamped Android Saga P11 Goku’s Dashing Punch worth anything? :blush:

The numbering comes in two forms. It can have the UR designation but it can also be the same number as in the original set. For the Frieza Saga URs, since the foil pattern is the same, for the URs numbered 124 and 125, the only way to tell whether the card is GKI or pack pulled is by the date (2003 for GKI and 2000 for pack).

I doubt most people are even aware of the distinction, or else I would expect the Frieza Saga URs to be worth a lot more. Limited edition pack-pulled versions of the two are quite rare.

1 Like

I am so glad I found this thread. Just made an account to reply and try to bring back to life.

I have an absolutely insane collection that I have never shared. I used to compete in tournaments back in the early 2000’s. I am heading home soon bc of surgery so I’ll share my binder. However, I have some UR’s I will be sending in to PSA:

• Trunks guardian drill
  • trunks the battler
  • gotenks ss3
  • goku the galaxy’s hero
  • earth spirit bomb

I have a few others from GT as well. I’ll try to keep everyone updated.

4 Likes

Logged in just to connect with you on this lol. If you’re open to selling I would ABSOLUTELY be interested in buying. If you’re just sharing your collection that would be awesome too. I use mostly Instagram and haven’t posted much score in awhile but still have vast majority of my collection and would love to see what you’ve got. @wolffy_collects on instagram

I will hit you up! Not sure that I am willing to sell, but I would even love to chat about them. I’ve always cherished this collection, but haven’t checked values in about 3 years. So i didn’t know there was an uptick, or that rare holos had that much value. Not too many people to shoot the shit with regarding these cards. I need to do some more looking into forums and what not.