some questions about yugioh

Hello,

I’ve scanned the yugioh threads in the search button and hope to focus on a few questions pertaining to yugioh below. I grew up playing yugioh as well and I’m seriously considering collecting PSA 10 sets in yugioh, but some issues are holding me back.

1. Has PSA dealt with their grading of fake cards already? According to the viral video, PSA replied that it was a different print run and therefore real. If so, doesn’t that mean that they will continue grading fake cards from dave & adams fake LOB booster boxes? That thought scares me as the LOB 1st edition blue eyes and exodia costs quite a bit, and I certainly don’t want to be paying 1k usd for a fake blue eyes card, even if PSA insists its real.

2. How secure are the PSA cases for yugioh? Visually it looks like theres a ton of empty space and that the card can move around. I’ve also watched videos where collectors complained that their card got damaged inside the case due to the significant amount of room to move around. It seems like PSA doesn’t deem yugioh important enough to create a more fitting case for yugioh, and I wonder if that will change.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the knowledge shared here as always/

1 Like

Just uploaded some quick photos here: imgur.com/a/XFBU8

Upon closer inspection, although the Yugioh cards are smaller than Pokemon, the borders’ width are smaller compared to the Pokemon cards for a tighter fit. However, the top and bottom borders aren’t closed in like the width.

On the other hand, they do have a film placed behind the card which I suppose is meant to keep it from moving. You can see the light reflecting off the film in one of the photos which I’ve circled red.

2 Likes

man thanks dude (: went through the trouble of uploading it too. seems like it’s sufficiently secure within the case.

Appreciate it.

No problem, glad to know there may be more Yugioh PSA-ers ;D

There’s quite a process involved in bringing new cases, dimensionally, to market. After all the preliminary work is completed, a minimum order of 4,000 gross for cards (over half a million pieces) are expected for an initial order.
Last I noticed there weren’t even 1000 yugioh cards in total graded. So though they are important enough to grade, it wouldn’t make business sense to stock a new case for them. Maybe in time.

1 Like

And by the way, I have an amazing 1st Ed LOB uncut sheet with the exodias and ultras etc. There’s only 3 known in the world and this is the mintiest one. It’s in a great custom frame, viewable from front and back, that was created by the imitable Monster Framing.

It’s been on eBay for under 10k for a year AND NOBODY HAS BOUGHT IT??? What kind of lightweight collectors are in the yugioh community? Lol. Seriously though, if this was a 1st Ed. Base Pokemon sheet in this condition it would fly off the shelf at 50,000.00.

2 Likes

Yeah I remember seeing it, it’s quite a piece indeed, a true 1st ed base holo pokemon equivalent. Wrt the lack of heavyweight collectors, I think that as the psa graded yugioh market is struggling to get momentum, the struggle of selling the amazing uncut sheet naturally follows.

Personally, I think yugioh does have a sufficient base of interested collectors. I remember reading that more than 25 billion cards have been sold thus far so the base should be there. The issue is if you google yugioh psa, the viral fake video and psa’s denial is one of the top hits. If you search youtube yugioh psa, it has the 3rd highest view count.

The fake grading issue is a real significant impediment to the progress of yugioh in the collectibles market. Since psa denies that they graded fake cards, it means I cannot rely on their financial guarantee. Neither will I be willing to pass on a fake psa graded card if I do accidentally buy one. So it will be my loss.

Furthermore, due to their denial (which may be right or wrong, but the font issue points to them being more likely wrong than right), more fakes will continue to flood the graded market.

So right now, psychologically, I’m prepared to spend more than 100k USD into the firmly established graded pokemon card market. But because of this fake yugioh card issue, I currently can’t see myself going further than recreating my old deck in PSA 10 condition for nostalgia reasons. I can’t see myself allocating more than 10k usd on graded yugioh. In pokemon, im in it for both nostalgic and investment reasons. In yugioh, its only for nostalgic reasons.

It’s a real pity and I feel quite sad about it.

If Konami can speak up and say hey those cards are actually real, or PSA agrees they made a mistake and will compensate all the fakes they’ve graded, I think PSA will find a new big revenue stream and more heavyweight collectors will appear.

Just my 5c

Yeah, that all makes sense.
I didn’t know anything about the possibly fake yugioh cards. I wonder what info PSA has to make them think they’re a diff print. Has anybody sent a psa card to Konami for their input?

I think the way to go is just purchase psa cards with a lower serial number than the first allegedly fake ones numbers. I sold a bunch of nice cards like dual lands from revised graded PSA 10 and did ver well. But that was several years ago.

1 Like

How big is Yugioh in America? I thought the market was only so-so.

The reason they have sold so many cards is Japan. By far the biggest game in Japan.

I am sending in a few cards with my first PSA submission, nothing great, just some Dark Magician Girl cards.

I don’t know much about Yugioh, but I have heard a lot of complaints about constant reprinting of expensive cards. I wonder if that affects how customers view card values, making PSA grading a lot less appealing than Pokemon or old MTG cards.

I don’t know what card this is, but maybe interesting for you guys since it’s expensive, guess very rare.

I collected OCG Yugioh for 10 years before coming back to Pokemon and i have some knowledge on some older cards. This is a promo that has only a total of 10,000 printed. I guess everyone knows the god cards of Yugioh, Slifer, Obelisk and Ra. Well this card is Horakthy(I believe i got that wrong), Creator of Light. This monster is a ‘fusion’ of all three god cards. Well not really a fusion but to summon this bad boy you need to sacrifice all three god cards on your side of the field. The result of the summoning? Well, you win the game. This card was released for the YGO 15th anniversary and some of the more iconic cards have been released with alternate artwork with a signature printed on the card.

2 Likes

Wow, I am surprised 10,000 were made. That’s probably 50-75% of the Battle Festa Pikcahu promos. Price is pretty high considering that.

@kanagawacards
@chok is indeed right, except for the misspelled name. :wink: It’s Holactie the Creator of Light.

yugioh.wikia.com is always a great source to look for information on Yu-Gi-Oh cards. As for this one (yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Holactie_the_Creator_of_Light):

DIVINE
Level 12
Creator God / Effect
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing 3 monsters whose original names are “Slifer the Sky Dragon”, “Obelisk the Tormentor”, and “The Winged Dragon of Ra”. This card’s Special Summon cannot be negated. The player that Special Summons this card wins the Duel.
ATK / ? DEF / ?

As for the information of it’s origin, which was already explained by @chok :

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Nothing in the set sells for more than $170ish. It’s really not equivalent to 1st base in Pokemon.

You’re asking too much for it, no matter how rare it is.

My graded Yu-Gi-Oh! cards are fine. They don’t really move around.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is just very money orientated. People don’t like the idea of paying a premium for graded cards so grading never caught on.

Also, high-end stuff is playable. People actually keep decks built instead of just displaying graded slabs.

Only a handful of cards really appeal to cross-collectors as well. Blue-Eyes, Red-Eyes, God Cards, Dark Magician Girl, etc. and only a few print runs of each.

Personally, only a handful of cards should have a premium for being graded a 9, Yu-Gi-Oh!'s print quality is a lot better than Pokemon’s. Cards being graded a 10 really isn’t that special.

You have to get off the drugs B. I’m asking too little.

I sold one (for 10k), kept this one, and then the third one is also accounted for and he might not even take 10,000.00 for his.
This one is the truly mint one which is super hard to find in a secondary market sheet.

To the right person it’s worth it. Idk anything about the first person who bought one from you but for the average Yu-Gi-Oh! collector it’s too much.

Yu-Gi-Oh! just doesn’t have these big ticket items, $100 is considered expensive in the playerbase. I could probably find you a buyer if you’re keen to sell it, or at least show you where to look.

Honestly, I love showing it and I get a lot of great communications about it, but I’d be heartbroken if it sold;)

Thanks though.

I really like your ambition to go into PSA Yu-Gi-Oh! collecting.

If you’re into YGO I probably don’t have to tell this, but there is no card rotation in YGO. This means that awesome Blue Eyes you have stacked away for a decade still is playable and has seen several reprints. The original might be worth a few extra bucks being the original, but for the player it’s just another Blue Eyes. A card you can pick up for anything between 1 and 5 dollar.

It doesn’t have those high money cards like Shaymin EX that is needed to be played in 3/4 decks. Friends of mine play meta decks that have a raw value of under $150. A Pokémon meta deck will set you back these days for at least $400-500.

Of course, YGO has these exclusive promo cards, tournament trophies and 1st edition print run. But as the ¥60,000 card shown, that card has seen a ‘common’ reprint already. Making it playable, and that’s what YGO is about.

If you’re really into YGO, and really have the ambition to complete a PSA10 LOB set; go for it! Full PSA10 sets are nice, and with YGO I doubt if there are many out there. Just buy ungraded cards and do the grading yourself. YGO cards have outstanding print quality and there is no need to pay the very high premium YGO PSA sellers ask.

it seems nice, but serious collector will only aims for rare/expensive cards like wcs or something.
check asianyensation instagram for example.