PSA VS BGS & Compare/Analyse Results

7 (going by PSAs scale). Wear on one to two edges = PSA 8. Wear on three to four = 6 Excellent to 7 NM

I have only had one Beckett card and their 9 mint grade was pretty weak, but that was just my experience.

1 Like

@pokemonsyndicate Your entire argument is why I choose PSA instead of BGS. You’re right it’s harder to get a BGS 10 vs a PSA 10, but it’s also harder to get a PSA 10 vs a BGS 9.5, a PSA 9 vs BGS 9, a PSA 8 vs BGS 8… You’re trying to convince people that because a company is harder to get one grade that they’re better, when in reality the only “grade” they beat the other company on is a grade that isn’t even offered (Pristine).

Personally, I like consistency. So, I complete sets and I’m not going to mix the two companies together. If you don’t have his issue then by all means try and cross over your PSA 10 for BGS 10s, you might want to consider crossing over some PSA 9(oc). But if you are like me and you can’t stand the inconstancy then PSA is the harder company to get a set completed in high grades.

I don’t see anyone getting a complete BGS 10 set of any cards. So, to keep the consistency you have to settle for BGS 9.5 instead of PSA 10s. Is it really worth having 5% of your collection set more impressive (actually getting a BGS 10) vs 95% being less impressive (settling for BGS 9.5) compared to a PSA 10 set?

In the end you’re comparing two almost flawless cards. The difference between a BGS 10 and PSA 10 can be so small, that I feel you’re missing the point debating between the two grades. That point is the card inside that case is what should be admired rather then the number associated with it.

3 Likes

honestly BGS 10 cards seem like a cheap marketing scheme to me. Have a rare grade, control it for population, and then brag about how expensive and rare pristine cards are.

I have some PSA 10 cards that are absolutely flawless IMO but I bet BGS would at the very least slap a 9.5 on them for centering for no reason. I’m glad PSA doesn’t have subgrades because when I compare a PSA 9 and 10 that look similar it’s annoying but I can’t see the reason so I can only speculate. BGS tells me the reason and half the time I think it’s a load of BS.

4 Likes

The BGS card shown was an 8.5 grade. If that card came to me raw, I would say a strong 6 maybe weak 7.

Here is an example of a PSA 8 card from the same set:

Here is the bgs 8.5 for side by side reference:

What blows my mind is that the PSA 8 is clearly in better condition, and is .5 lower than the BGS counterpart.

5 Likes

I win!! :grin:

7 Likes

You win this new car-dboard box without the card or board or even the box. You won nothing.

Join us next time on “Can you guess it?”

5 Likes

Damn! :slightly_frowning_face:… Lmao

*You won a BGS 10 nothing. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’d be interested to see the sub-grade for that card @smpratte.

1 Like

The front though. They made an average decision based on both sides. PSA 10’s with silvering and being off centered is inexcusable though. BGS still more professional.

Yeah I just want to try and get complete pristine cards for my collection, because I have had 3 charizard gold stars in psa 10, and guess what they had massive whitening on 1 of dem, some on one, and a little bit on another. This is unacceptable, PSA 10 is awesome, but its not perfect enough for me. xD Howveer I have seen some really perfect 10’s that probably should have gone to bgs.

There is quite a few 10’s popping out on some aweseome cards, but I wanna have everything super low POp.

I have pictures of charizard gold star, Ill find them. whitening on all corners i think, but its still gem.

Hmmms I think your right on everything, especially the consistancy part. Its much easier to complete sets with psa for sure, and everyone gives up with BGS pristine, or doesnt bother, however I myself will not settle for 9.5 i dont think so sir, i shall try get pristine and keep 9.5 till i get 10, or sell 9.5 so I can spend more on copies untill i get 10. HOPEFULLY.

Its easy to show a grade of 8 - 9 on bgs and call it shit, because it is pretty down there, but that is because they have so many gradlings above that, so they have to compromise on the lower grades

I plan on getting pristine on only certain cards, Ill still be sending to psa, because there grading scale is basically perfect, but bgs is got a grade beyond, and thats where my extremely mi0nt, but slightly off centered cards will go, I will not waiste them at psa for them to be slapped 9 grade on. Also, my extremely mint cards will go to bgs regardless.

But yeah dont get me wrong, they still deserve psa 10’s because they were minty fresh, but had that factory whitening like it wasnt all cut off or something, which I have ever seen on BGS 10, so yeah the difference would be so small, but it will make the card so unique because there will basically be like 1 or 2 copies out there like that.

1 Like

I thought my OCD was bad until I read this thread…

5 Likes

It can be looked as ocd, or personal preference.

You tend to get a bit more OCD when you have a single card you paid 10,000US Dollans for, and other that are in the thousands range… You want perfection for your plastic prison your gems lie in.

I have no problem keeping my old school ex in psa cases ect, but Id like a better case for my expensive stuff… I WANT A SLEEVE FOR MY CHARIZARD DAMMIT!

1 Like

Ive heard this arguement from other sports collectors and people who use BGS. They believe that BGS controls the BGS 10s to some extent. It’s not just PSA collectors/memebers that have their own theories about the grading company they use. I will say that I really like the PSA case for pokemon. The only thing I prefer about BGS is the subgrades so I know exactly what was wrong with me card and the sleeve inside.

1 Like

this is correct that psa 9 and lower take a hefty sized shit on bgs 9 and lower, but when we go above the 10 we can analyze further that BGS 10 take an equally sized comparative dump on psa 10 sir. :ninja:
For me, all grades below 10, and sometimes 9.5 wont matter at all.

Further examine people - Charizard gold star, has a factory whitening on evcen the freshes copies, and its usually on one or 2 bits, but sometimees its on more, but psa can and will slap a 10 on your card even if so:

Theres 10 bits or more of whitening on this card, very hard to capture. I do think it deservers a psa 10 because it has all factory whitening, but the actual card is crips, its just that the white bit hasnt been cut off properly.
I have never, and i repeat never seen a BGS pristine 10 look anything like this. This was very noticable on 3 zards i had, but whitening varies. I still agree with the grade, but It gives me more peace of mind to score a pristine 10 on this card if possible, because im sure the other cards in psa 10’s would be similar, but a pristine one will be truency of pristine.

Say Hello to Zard 2, he is pretty much perfect, but still i dont know if it would get a Pristine gold label…

As you can see, slight factroy whitening, but not cut properly, sort of like the charizard 1st ed shadowless psa 10 i got that i was not hapy with. If you do find a charizard in this condition you are a living legend. What would be really cool is to find an absolute perfect copy. My friend did recently and it was sent to psa :sob:

I got one recently and its going to bgs, and it has only one bit with whitening, so hopefully it get pristine, but will see.

I have pictures of zard 3 which i graded myself! but it doesnt really have any whitening. Only 1 dot on bottom and a couple on the top unoticable. I only took a photo of front for a sale.

I would much rather have a psa 9 then a bgs 9, that is clear, but would i rather a psa 10 over a pristine 10… I dont think it so. It kind of depends on how the graders have done it.

Here is the front of the psa 8 zard:

Makes no sense how this card is a lower grade than the venusaur.

1 Like

Alright Scott, show the back. Nonetheless you are right. Shows you how inconsistent PSA actually is.

The back was the previous photo with the brown background.

So aside from over grading they under grade? Not impressed, It is simple.