PSA Potential Fake Stamp - Resolved

Are you going to crack it open on video and attempt rubbing off the stamp? Or just let PSA slide??

Having it in the case, I can keep sending it to psa until they fix the problem. breaking it doesnā€™t solve anything besides the mystery of the stamp

2 Likes

Ok let them slide it is.

1 Like

@missingno I would say by cracking it he would be letting PSA slide because after it is cracked they wonā€™t admit grading/authenticating it. It is best left in the case for now.
Was there a follow up response to any of this @fazool ?
I think some really high dpi scans will help show the microscopic smudges highlighted in previous posts. If you need any Iā€™d be willing to scan it for you but Iā€™m in California so Iā€™m not sure how you feel about that.
Given all the information outlined in this thread about stamps, your card still doesnā€™t fit the build as an authentic WOTC stamp.

This is a very important case study for the future of the hobby and the seriousness in PSA making a mistake. If this was a card with a 7, 6, or even 5 figure value I think PSA would be taking it much more seriously. People get prosecuted for selling fakes in other collectible markets.

1 Like

What do you have into this card? It sucks and is a bad position to be in. If it was my own and they did this to me, I would surely crack it open and do the rub test all on camera. If it were to rub off I would send them the video and put the ball in their court. (Also of course linking the video here for juicy comments and sharing that link with them). I can understand that can be deemed risky though if it is a fair bit of money for you. Maybe someone here would be more ready to push it if you sold it along to them though they would be sticking their neck out a fair bit.

If it werenā€™t to wipe off, then you arenā€™t in too bad of a spot. Simply regrade and resell it. As it stands it would be a tough sell anyways so overall I say the cracking risk is low from the sh*tty spot you sit in now.

2 Likes

if you decide to break it open make sure everything is in one video. (breaking open the case-> rubbing off the stamp)

Did I really need to write all of this so people can know what I meant?

2 Likes

Crack it open and attempt to rub the stamp off in one videoā€¦if it rubs off, ball is in PSAā€™s court to remedyā€¦if it doesnā€™t, you paid around $40 USD after shipping costs to get the card regraded with the same gradeā€¦heck, iā€™d donate a couple bucks to help cover the costs of the latter if it means we get a definitive answer that benefits the entire communityā€¦ :blush:

Crack it open at a card store with lots of witnesses.

If you do make a video, put it on YouTube with a clickbait headline ā€œPSA IS GRADING FAKE 1ST EDITION CHARIZARDSā€. Then let the views and the ad dollars roll in. The guy who posted the fake Yugioh card video has almost 150k views.

2 Likes

Heā€™ll get like 70$ out of that, if heā€™s lucky. Would at least cover the regrading cost. :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™d also love to see the cracking and wiping of the stamp. But I understand being afraid of doing so.

1 Like

I like this idea. Do it all in one take. If it rubs off I know PSA would compensate you to save some embarrassment.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure PSA will not help you in any way after you crack it. Sure, take video, damage their reputation, but you wonā€™t find relief from them after cracking it on your own. Iā€™m almost positive itā€™s in their policy somewhere. That was my point. Iā€™d be happy to be proven wrong.

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it grind your gears if he wiped it off and PSA sent it back with an Authentic grade for being inked.

they were adamant that if the case is tampered with in any way all ties with them are completely moot. this is not something I am willing to do.

while the card is in the case I have the value and the guarantee. Iā€™m not someone who makes a ton of money, Iā€™m not just going to throw whatever value I have in that case away. I will send it back to PSA again, or maybe something else can be done, but you will not see me cracking the case

2 Likes

What if he does all that on video, and offers to sell the video to them rather than publish it on youtube, etc?

2 Likes

You only have that ā€œguaranteeā€ if they are willing to admit liability for this. And given we have already seen their response, you know you likely arenā€™t going to get a single cent from them.

This is such a shitty situation to be in mate, Iā€™m really sorry you have to go through this.

Can I ask, how much $$$ you have invested into this card already?

I think the word for that is blackmail :blush:

4 Likes

What if 10 of us put up 50 bucks each. Then crack it. Regardless of the result, weā€™ll all own it in partnership:)

1- Gary (Not Zelda Gilroy)
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

3 Likes

Depending on how much you want, someone might be half tempted to buy the card from you and crack it.