PSA now showing card errors on labels

I can see that, different way of looking at it.

I guessed that was probably what it was, but wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt that they weren’t so childish.

I think @pfm summed up my feelings perfectly; PSA are fine, but this feels like a money-grabbing opportunity spurred on by the popularity of CGC’s error grading, rather than development because they’re trying to improve of their own accord.

…Which again, is fine, but knowing PSA’s MO, we’re going to end up with some errors acknowledged on labels, while others are completely ignored.

The proof will be in the pudding on this one.

3 Likes

I agree it’s dirty and didn’t even think about the market share they’re trying to take away from CGC, rather the gift to collectors for those that appeal for these types of things.

I will say that doesn’t surprise me that PSA is attempting to do this. Just because you’re on top of the mountain, doesn’t mean it’s a permanent thing. PSA wants to stay there.

Businesses are always actively trying to stay in the black. It’s all part of the game. Dirty or not.

1 Like

Thinking out loud (don’t mind me, I have no dog in this fight lol) - there’s no question to me PSA is grabbing market share (or trying to) by doing this, but if it’s solely a money play, what incentive would they have to only recognize some errors and not all of the ones recognized by other grading companies?

For the record, I don’t care why PSA did this, it’s the consumer benefit of healthy competition. I just never liked how they do their errors. If they really want to compete with CGC, they have to step it up majorly

4 Likes

They may not have done enough research to approve the other errors that are known out there, or they don’t care.

I suspect if they’re doing these, they are open to do more.

At that point, why choose CGC when PSA can do it?

I realize saying that will open a can of worms and it’s not meant to, as we all have a preference on grading companies depending on our likes and needs.

It’s more so from the perspective of they’re seen as the best in the grading community, why go somewhere else?

As someone who collects errors, I think this is great.

I’m just not looking forward to the Blaziken69ers listing these new labels with “POP 1!!!” in the title and asking prices at 10x the last sold price. :melting_face:

5 Likes

That’s what I’d love to find out, whether they’re confident/willing to stake their name on some of the more “out there” errors that other companies are willing to grade, or whether they’ll stick to the more well known stuff like the Fossil stain cards?

The only reason I’ve mentioned their (possible) motivation behind this, is that it’d probably have an impact on their interest/reliability in documenting unique errors properly, or just sticking to the stuff that’s “safe” and easily verifiable…or just lazy, like black dot zord.

@gengarbrigade I could only really say the error text is where PSA can’t compete. There’s barely any room on the label anyway, so any lengthy error description is going to be abbreviated to hell.

3 Likes

I can see that in the beginning of listings, hopefully dropping off the more that hits the market. But there will always be some that will attract new collectors that aren’t educated

1 Like

Doesn’t CGC put the error title on the back of their slabs? PSA probably already knows. I hope they don’t do that.

That’s fair. The somewhat cynical side of me thinks the board room discussion around this error could easily be “yeah, there are a bunch of errors out there, but everyone wants Charizard! We are atleast doing this one. Everyone will resubmit their error Zardy bois!”

To CGC’s credit, conceptually it does seem a little silly that it’s now 2023 and PSA is still constrained on their ability to put a full description on the slab by virtue of their labeling :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s CGC’s approach to making room. I can’t see PSA ever putting details on the back of their labels…but if they ever get desperate enough for space, who knows?!

I expect that if PSA do go properly into recognising all kinds of errors, then they’ll end up with a blanket “Ink Err./Holo Err./Misalignment” etc type description to save space.

1 Like

I have lots of cards with “scratch” and “stain” errors. I look forward to each of them getting this recognition. I just hope they differentiate between my peanut butter stains and my ketchup stains

5 Likes

Will this mess with the pop reports, or will it just be listed with an error label?
Have 4 or 5 variants I would need reslabbed with the error label if so.

Cant wait to se a dragon ball super card with an error in a psa slab.

BT3-123 Hyper Evolution Super Saiyan 4 Son Goku (SCR) 5th Anniversary FOIL DBS

Will become

2020 DBS 5th An
HE SS 4 S Gok Foil
Scr ink holo err

1 Like

Only for one-off errors or cards with a printing error. There are plenty of repeatable errors that are shown on the front of the slab.

Here’s one of mine with a repeating error

And a different card with an obstruction error that’s a non-repeating error

1 Like

is there a database to see which errors they’ll except? Curious if they’ll take holo shifts and texture shifts.

I am impressed with the “incorrect holo error” on the zard. Seems like they’ll try to pay attention

There is a separate row entry for error cards now, they would most likely need to be reslabbed. Probably free of charge though

2 Likes

Even though it might sound like I just want to rag on PSA and their business practices (I don’t, because I have enough of a PSA slab collection too), this is the actual one area that I will crucify them at every opportunity - it’s like they haven’t even discovered Microsoft Word yet… they’ll evolve to using Comic Sans before they ever crack resizing text. :laughing:

2 Likes

RIP set registry collectors

4 Likes