PSA increases Collectors Club annual membership price from $99 to $149

After announcing increased shipping prices, the collectors club membership price also has been drastically increased.

Is PSA testing the waters how far they can push alternative pricing structures? Would this make you reconsider renewing or subscibing to the membership?

2 Likes

Well, I WAS considering renewing my membership to take advantage of the economy tier for a large submission. Looks like that’s off the table now.

Unless they substantially lower grading prices for all tiers I don’t see this as a win

1 Like

“We’re going to charge you $50 more for the same service and here’s why that’s a great thing for you”

…ok psa :roll_eyes:

32 Likes

I cancelled my PSA membership this year. I just don’t use their special tiers to make it worth it.

1 Like

As long as the grading numbers stay high, I understand why PSA feels they can increase membership fee. I was considering starting my membership back up, but probably won’t now.

As long as other people keep grading, and nice cards sell for 1x-2x costs, the incentive to grade myself just isn’t there.

3 Likes

My PSA membership expired last year. Planned to renew once another sub was ready. Keep in mind PSA used to charge $299/year I believe. It also included 15 free grades with expediated turnaround time.

I think PSA’s valuation is struggling and they’re looking for ways to create more revenue. Tons of overhead, plus the SGC acquisition (deal terms not disclosed, may not be cash). Seems this is a move to help the financials.

This is the year of M&A. SGC, JSA, the saga continues.

2 Likes

Welp, I’m thankful my auto renew at $99 already happened this year :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Doesn’t this just mean you have to grade 30 cards/year at TCG Bulk to be worth it instead of 20? Seems fine to me honestly… I mean yeah price increase is price increase, but this seems like nothing if you were already grading hundreds per year.

Store credit to Fanatics Live, just what I’ve always wanted!!! Thank you, PSA!

16 Likes

Do you have a link to this? Just wondering what they are saying they are offering extra with the increase.

600x385
600x385
600x385
600x433

Basically not worth mentioning/negligible.

2 Likes

I will gladly pay the extra 50 dollars. PSA offers an incredible service which affords me value unparalleled within the card grading space. PSA has been the leader in trading card authentication and grading for decades, and have maintained their excellent level of service and setting the standard for the rest of the industry.

I cannot believe they are offering these extra resources on top of the membership cost to us. I can’t wait to get involved over at Fanatics Live with the credit I receive. PSA is truly a company worthy of investment, with an even brighter future ahead of it.

I grade my cards with PSA with 100% confidence. Every time.

b41dVQS

45 Likes

I was iffy on renewing, but I renewed during the $13.99 special because if I graded 100 cards, the savings paid for the renewal.

At $149 and increased shipping, is not fun to pay but for how much I spend in the hobby $70 more per year isn’t that much.

It makes me want to strategize grading more. Maybe accumulating one year and then grading in a second year.

Maybe using a middleman.

Fanatics is literally going to own and be apart of everything it seems.

And here I was, hoping PSA would announce cheaper grading rather than higher membership costs with no added benefit. I’ve been sitting on thousands of raw Japanese old back and early new back cards for the past 5+ years, and now I’m not sure I’ll ever get them graded :frowning:

2 Likes

Based on inflation, $11 in 2016 is ~$14.40 today. I don’t know how much cheaper they will actually go. If you have a bunch to grade you should do it! The marketing for this news is junk but $50 on the membership really comes out in the wash

I have price memory of the $7.50 deal from the summer of 2020, and keep holding out hope that one day before I die, prices may drop back down to $10 or less.

1 Like

Yeah I figured because I feel the same way. But I think it’s an unhelpful emotion that gets in the way of the reality that we aren’t living in pre-2020 anymore. It’s also not really the same company it used to be since the change in leadership

I feel like that most people who are complaining about a $50 price increase shouldn’t bother grading the cards to begin with. PSA is flooded with a bunch of junk submissions. I typically only submit cards that’ll give me at least $100 value in the grade they get it. Sending modern is a complete waste as once the next set or two releases the prices drop substantially. Sending in a modern card that’ll grade a 10 and sell for 75 isn’t worth it to me. Ebay fees, grading fees, shipping there and back, shipping from eBay or whatever platform, doesn’t seem worth it. I mainly use the $500 declared value tier and up

Ah nothing quite like a classic bit of gatekeeping with a hint of entitlement, and a healthy dose of strawmanning. You do you bud, but bulk tier exists for a reason.

3 Likes