PSA grade estimates on holos

Hi guys,

I’m brand new here, so I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post this - but I have a history with Pokemon since I was young. I recently discovered my old box of 1st edition commons and uncommons and it sparked my love for the hobby again since I was cracking packs in 99.

I was offered up these shadowless holos that haven’t been graded yet (not interested in the unlimited) - I’m hoping you experts here with your eagle eyes can help out.

I know its a long shot and probably nearly impossible to give a very accurate estimate of PSA grade - but given these photos is there any consensus where these would land on the scale? Trying to work out a price point for the lot. I did purchase a graded PSA 9 shadowless charizard from the same group - these all came from the same collection and were never played. Possible these could hit 9/10 as well?

Appreciate the wealth of knowledge from you all!

1 Like

You can’t tell anything without looking at the backs. And even then, it’s impossible to tell even what range of grades a card might receive simply by looking at a few front/back pictures.

The best way to find out is to send the cards into PSA and see what you get.

Will have some photos of the backs shortly!

If all that damage you can see from the backs is on the cards then they won’t grade very well. Maybe if you took them out of the pages we could tell?

Basically, if you can look at the card and say it looks pack fresh like brand new then you could cou t on an 8,9, or 10.

1 Like

Hard to tell from your scans/pics, but all I can advise you is not to pay much more than $20 per holo here.

You need to take photo on a black background that way it’s easier to see any imperfections. White back ground only hide them

1 Like

That, quality single card images and outside the sleeves/pages.

i would grade them but dont expect 10s. get your hopes up for 7s so when they come back 8 you will be happy :blush: nice cards tho!

1 Like

Thanks for your comments guys. I have a high res pics I’ve been studying and all the the visible “wear” appears to just be the dirt and material on the binder sleeves, but I’ll certainly have these graded.

Coming from another ‘grading n00b,’ it’s really the only way to be sure. Leave it to the experts. It’s a lot like drafting a fantasy football team at the start of the year, and thinking you have the best team before week 1. More commonly known as ‘rosterbating’ and everyone who’s into fantasy sports has done it at least once (don’t kid yourself).
And then you usually get the crap beat out of you or your players get suspended for beating…well, you know how that ends.

My point is, there are always the tiniest of flaws on my cards that the graders see that I cannot. Not until I get them back, that is, because then

“I can see clearly now, the grading’s done.”

1 Like

The second page of cards looks more promising than the first but everything looks dirty as fuck. You should pull those out of that god awful sleeve sheet, give them a wipe down with a fiber cloth, and put them in penny sleeves immediately. Maybe some 9s in there, maybe a couple of 10s, definitely some 8s.

I’d recommend grading them through Ludkins. Charlie (@funmonkey54) will do a pre-check on the cards and give you an estimated grade (not guaranteed obviously). Then you can choose which cards to grade or not, and if you don’t grade a card it’s only $2 for the pre-check. Once you get the “failed” cards back you can review with your own eyes using the notes that Charlie provides. This is a great way to ramp up your skill in this area.

2 Likes

Let us know how you do OP, but as I said before don’t overpay. It’s very rare you’re going to find Mint or Gem Mint cards sitting in binders. You’re most likely to earn 7s and 8s which are like $20-40.

Who are you buying these from? There might be a reason why blastoise Charizard and Venusaur aren’t in the lot along with some unlimited copies being thrown in there. If this is a seller that has other graded cards for sale / has graded cards before I wouldn’t expect any 10s

2 Likes

Just got these in last night. So took them out of the dirty sleeves and got a read good inspection of them. 7 of out the 8 are nearly flawless… no scratches at all on the holos, no whitening on the back - comparable to the PSA 9 charizard. Only issues i see is some very slight and nearly unnoticeable micro scratching on the chancey holo when turned and held in different light. Biggest disappointment is the Hitmonchan which has a scratch on the holo when held to the light, otherwise flawless, ill keep that one in a binder collection. Sending these off to PSA to see what they grade as.

1 Like

Send them in through Ludkins and they’ll estimate the grade ahead of submission.
They sound exciting though:)