Card Opinions

I know this is the most popular of topics around here but I from just lurking for a little bit, I got the feeling there are a lot of knowledgeable people regarding Pokemon cards.

First a little background about me since this is my first post. I started collecting and selling Pokemon cards during the base set unlimited packs and ended at Team Rocket. I was fortunate enough to have stores in my hometown where I was able buy base packs and 1st edition packs at retail. Back in the days, they would only allow 1 box per person so we would have our neighbors come over and my brother would take us to the store so that we can buy multiple boxes. We also dabbled a bit into Japanese cards since they were further ahead with their sets. Ultimately, I was able to sell packs and single cards so that I have funds to buy more. After selling off most of my cards around after Team Rocket came out, I only kept a few cards. Growing up as a sports card collector, I always tried to keep them in the best condition I could. So most of the cards were in soft sleeves and top loaders.

With all this being said, I would like some opinions regarding PSA grades on my cards. I know it’s nearly impossible to grade by pictures/scans but I just want a quick opinion based on visible edge wear and such. The holos themselves are all great from what I can see. No scratches or print lines. I have never sent anything to PSA before so I have no idea what to expect. I have tried looking on eBay but the pictures with the cards inside the PSA holders don’t really show off minor issues very well. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a few more cards as well including some Japanese ones but these are the best ones I have.

Welcome to the forum!

It’s difficult to tell because of the white background and because it’s hard to really see how clean the holos are without different angles, but they look like PSA 8s and 9s to me for the most part.

Hey! If you want good feedback on things like edge wear/whitening, I’d strongly recommend taking photos against a black background. White backgrounds allow those edge wear/whitening to blend in.

As is, I’d say they look very solid as far as edge wear/whitening goes. I hate giving opinions on grades since I’m an amateur but I’d be comfortable sending those in and expecting 8+ assuming the holos are as stated.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll have to find something with a dark background. I’m not sure what to use yet.

Yes they look like 8’s and 9’s to me. Pictures will never do the full justice even though you are looking for an idea rather than certainty. But general rule of thumb: Perfect holos–and I mean flawless holos, and a non-whitened back edging, a non-silvered front edging, and glossy surface front and back will always yield an 8 or higher. 8 is saved more for when there is some silvering on front, not so perfect back edges, or a little loss of gloss or luster. PSA 9 is when everything is basically perfect or near perfect, but has some sort of flaw or 2 that prevents it from being a 10, which is basically near perfect or perfect centering, and no wear or damage of any kind.

So 9 = perfect or near perfect holo, perfect or near perfect edging on both sides, and glossy surface. Centering is a secondary prerequisite. There are 9’s with pretty off centering.

8 = basically looks like a 9 at first glance but has a few more hairlines on holo, some, albeit little whitening on back, or a little chip or so, and a little loss of gloss on surface front and back. Very close to a 9. There is arbitrary difference between 8 and 9. They can usually go either way if it isn’t a pack fresh card–and even then… sometimes they slap fresh cards with 8’s for negligible reasons. 7 and lower is when there is much more noticeable wear.

What cause silver edging on the front and why is it a bad thing?

Blastoise 8 max and the rest 9 max

Regardless of condition, these are amazing cards! Congrats!

It is just wear. Now, sometimes pack fresh cards have this because it was a perfect factory “pressing” if you know what I mean–not a perfect machine application. Just a little silvering, you’ll see it isn’t caused by human interaction–a couple specks, blades cutting the card causing flying debris, anything of the sort. But the commoner kind of silvering, where you can see degradation from friction (human-made), that is seen as even more of a eye-appeal-lessening wear. To answer your question in other words, it is seen as unappealing to the eye, less of a perfect looking card and therefore less of a grade. From 10 to 9, or 9 to 8, etc. One more flaw to quanitify.

The best advice is to look them over give them a guess, after you take that # do -1, and when they return you will have the first-hand experience and the opportunity to learn if you plan on to continue collecting. They all look in PSA 7+ at a quick glance, but regardless I would say just to send them off and forget about them for a while.

@jjlinx,

v/r

odds