PSA 8.5 Shadowless Charizard or PSA 4 1st Ed Charizard

Hey all!

After graduating college I’ve been able to save up around 6ish thousand to buy a vintage charizard. This would be the big piece for my collection.

What I’m trying to decide between is if it makes more sense to go with a PSA 8.5 of a shadowless Charizard or go for a PSA 4 thick stamp Charizard. In today’s markets they are roughly the same price.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this

Thank you

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t really think you could go wrong with either one. It depends on what your collection goals are. if you’re looking to complete a PSA 1st edition base set collection then go with the stamped Zard, but if you’re looking to do a shadowless collection than obviously go with the shadowless. If you’re asking from an investment perspective, I have no idea. I don’t know which one would hold it’s value more or appreciate more with time but like I said before I don’t think you could go wrong with base set Charizard, it’s always going to sell. I think it comes down to how much you value the 1st edition stamp. Congratulations on graduating college though! I just graduated May of 2019 and it feels so good knowing I don’t have to do anymore homework or cram for exams.

That is kinda the hard part right now. Obviously I’d like to make a smart purchases but it comes down to how much I value that stamp. I’m not really in to set collecting. Just getting cool cards I value! Congrats to you too!

2 Likes

I personally would rather a 1st ed Charizard, however, may I ask, are you willing to wait and save longer? You might be able to get an even better condition card, if that means anything to you :blush:

Also, congrats on the graduation!

5 Likes

I’d need a slightly higher grade Zard. Preferably one that got the grade from whitening or edge wear. Hopefully not creased or scratched up.

If it’s a bad condition 4 I’d go shadowless 8.5. I love first edition cards tho. The cards naked without the stamp to me as stupid as that sounds! It’s just what I grew up with. Good luck on your decision tho!

1 Like

I would go for the 1st ed but that’s based on my personal experience. I’ve owned many Shadowless zards but only two 1st ed. I’ll always see 1st ed to be a greater collectible than shadowless because of that.

1 Like

I would go with the 8.5 shadowless as it will basically be a mint card. To own a mint shadowless charizard would be awesome. A PSA 4 card of anything will be in rough condition. Alternatively you could perhaps save up a bit more and see if you can find a PSA 6 1st edition Charizard? PSA 6 cards can still look very presentable from the front.

2 Likes

The shadowless, but keep saving for a 9. 8.5 is like red headed step child in collectibles for whatever reason.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone! Figured I could add some pictures of the cards I’m looking at. Both are nice for their grades

@rescuetoast , I’d take the 4, the colors are much better and it looks quite nice for a 4

1 Like

I’m a red headed step child so I’m going to assume you mean 8.5s are awesome!:joy: To be fair 8.5 out of 10 is still pretty great, but yes half grades are not so popular.

3 Likes

Do you eventually want to complete a set? If so I’d go Shadowless for sure.

Agreed 8.5s are a bit strange but this one looks very nice. I’m genuinely torn. I want 1st ed but I also love mint cards. It’s hard to do the older, rarer, minter, better here since they both check one

I genuinely think that this is a case where its worth the wait. You have a buyer’s market to your advantage, so a little wait isn’t going to blow your chances.

Just be careful, you don’t want to make an impulsive purchase and be upset several thousands of dollars in, since your Charizard either doesn’t have the stamp, or your Charizard has a crease.

If its an item you plan on holding near and dear to yourself, with no plans of upgrading or selling, try to get something you know you’ll be content with today, tomorrow, and next year. The last thing you want is for that crease or lack of a stamp to increasingly bother you as time goes by, and then you have to voyage this type of journey yet again.

While you are definitely able to just purchase one of these two items today and call it a day, I think that because of the market situation, you’re better off saving up for and attaining the card you truly want.

Just my two cents.

7 Likes

I always prefer the higher grades, but an 8.5 is not highly sought after. I would save a tiny bit more and jump on a reasonable PSA 9 shadowless zard. Older, minter equals better.

1 Like

Very good advice. Just to update a bit more.
The 1st is about 500ish more and does not have a crease per the seller. I feel like my best thinks the 1st ed is cooler but my brain says to go with cleaner card. I do hear what you are saying and I may have a bit of FOMO happening but I don’t know how much I want to sink into this passion project. At the end of the day I guess I’m not really planning on selling anyway so I should just get what I love

Tough call. Either are a good pick from an investment purpose imo, perhaps the stamp edging it slightly. I’m sure whatever you pick you’ll be delighted once you have the card in your hand. Good luck in your purchase

Get the 1st edition and send to bgs.

1st edition all the way, but that’s just me.

1 Like