PSA 10 vs BL 10

I’m thinking of buying the mega charizard poncho Pikachu in either a PSA 10 or BL 10. PSA 10 is going for around $5000 but the black label is 3x more. Keeping in mind I’m considering buying the BL because I like the idea of having my dream card in the perfect grade and I like the look of the case. Do you guys think that the premium is worth it?

Is it worth an extra 10,000 dollars to have a card be negligibly better condition wise?
Unironically, most people would not be able to tell the difference between your run of the mill PSA 10 and a BL from BGS, and even if they could it would be under intense visual scrutiny.

If you have insane personal disposable income then do what you want. But consider what you could do with that 10,000 dollars instead of a cool coloured label that only matters to other people who think it’s cool.

20 Likes

In short, definitely not. But you should buy what you like

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I personally do not think the premium for a black label is remotely worth it. Especially in the case of these semi-modern Japanese promos. I would carefully weigh how important the label is to you and make a decision from there.

4 Likes

The premium isn’t worth 50$ more

5 Likes

Agree with what others have stated, I would not pays $10K more for a neglibigle difference

1 Like

You’d be paying 3x more for a status symbol, not for the card’s condition that could’ve also graded a PSA 10

11 Likes

Is the premium worth it? No. Absolutely not.

2 Likes

Could get a BGS10 and regrade it until it comes back BL with change to spare for that kind of premium.

2 Likes

No not worth the premium even if you like BGS more. As someone else suggested, buying the 10 from PSA and resubmitting to Beckett is not a terrible idea so long as you’re very very careful.

My personal opinion is that people with the disposable income level to buy black labels should if they want to. Don’t let us people with less money dissuade you. But I’d personally buy something else with the $10,000.

2 Likes

If you’re wealthy enough that there’s not really a meaningful difference for you between $5k and $20k, then do whatever makes you happy.

For everyone else… I just have to go to my usual line of what exactly are you paying $15k for? If you cracked out a PSA 10 and a BGS 10 and shuffled them around, could the average collector tell the difference? If you resubmit the BL is it guaranteed to get a black label again? If the answer is “no” or “probably not” to either of these then you’re paying an extra $15k for no meaningful conditional improvement. You are paying for a vanity label that is only as valuable as people care about BGS.

Many of these ponchos are pretty much perfect right out of the pack and its just a matter of playing the BGS lottery. If that works for you then go for it. Personally I’d rather buy 4 different PSA 10 ponchos than one BL one

12 Likes

Once we accomplish goals, a new goal sets on the horizon. That 10k will do you far more Justice in completing that future goal than having it be all in a single card based on condition as a fundamental.

Capital is limited, and so are rare cards.

2 Likes

I would argue that even the PSA 10 isn’t worth it.
I would rather have a strong 9 than an imperfect 10 any day.

10 Likes

I triple agree.

Maybe a question to ask for OP, what about condition do you feel like you need the “best of the best”. Is it for exclusivity, scarcity, a master set in PSA 10? That will help justify where you are willing to compromise

1 Like

I too used to prefer the look of BGS slabs until I owned one. The issue I have with them is the lack of “frosted” edges and the card being in a penny sleeve create a “glare” which makes it difficult to see the card when it’s on display unless you are looking at the perfect angle.

Just something to keep in mind if you plan on displaying it.

1 Like

no, id sell them all day long tho

1 Like

Considering there’s been many PSA 10s that become BGS 10s Pristine grade which is only 0.5 sub-grade from a BL, I really don’t think the added premium is worth it given such an arbitrary difference. It also doesn’t help that BGS simply doesn’t carry the same prestige or demand in Pokemon compared to some of the other hobbies. I would personally go for a PSA 10 and put the extra funds towards something else.

I would keep the money and buy other cards instead of buying a BL. You might get a BL that is not “perfect” which will disappoint you. Perfection is subjective.

1 Like

Thanks guys you’ve helped me a lot