Price Check: Pop 1 Torchic Gold Star

between a price of a 7 and a price of an eight

16 Likes

Somewhere between the prices of PSA 7 and PSA 8.

People need to get the idea that random “low pop” low grades are anything special out of their heads. Low pop only matters for the highest grade, because that’s the one people want to get. That’s not to say that the card won’t have demand, it’s just that nobody wants to pay more for a 7.5 when they can have an 8. I’ve seen the argument that there are certain collectors that really want to get PSA 1-10 of a certain card, but I can guarantee you the amount of demand created from collectors like that will not create any difference in price from the general demand that already exists. Usually the only people propagating this idea are people with weird grades to sell you. Just my observation.

13 Likes

Could even argue that some people are turned off by the 7.5 half grade and would prefer a 7 or 8.

2 Likes

Yeah you’ll get closer to a 7 in price than 8

8 Likes

If there are two millionaires out there whose favorite number is 7.5 and favorite Pokemon is Torchic then the sky is the limit.

17 Likes

Well if you’re planning on keeping it forever, and like the idea of having a “pop 1” card, then you should just keep it. 7.5’s aren’t very common grades, so there may never be another 7.5. And if you do send it back, it’s very likely it wont receive the same grade again (I’m thinking it’s leaning more towards an 8). Save the grading cost and just enjoy what you’ve already got, since resale value isn’t important to you.

1 Like

$1300 is a great offer. If you want to sell the card, take that offer. That’s slightly more than what an 8 is worth.

EDIT: oh, and for reference, I paid ~$750 for a PSA 8 a few months ago. It’s slightly more than that now, but not significantly. An 8 is probably worth about $1k right now, give or take a couple hundred.

2 Likes

Genius

1 Like

Low pop in this case is useless, unless there is a torchic goldstar collector who wants every torchic in each grade

1 Like

Typically I just price a half grade like that as sum of 75% of a recent 7 and 25% of a recent 8 sale.

Yeah I’d say it’s easily $1500. A 9 sold for $3000 recently, and 7s are usually 1/2 the price of a 9. 7.5 makes it minimum the price of a 7.

TCAGaming has a PSA 8 on eBay for $1500. So a PSA 7.5 is definitely less than $1500. You have to remember that Torchic PSA 9 is also a weird exception because it’s extra desirable because of how insanely low the 10 pop is. That’s largely why the 9s are so much more than Mudkip/Treecko 9s – people have to settle for PSA 9s because it’s nearly impossible to acquire a 10. So you can’t apply that rule to the price of Torchic in PSA 9.

1 Like

Interesting, I didn’t know that he had an 8 listed for $1500. I’ve always used the 1/2 9 rule for all the gold star 7s that i’ve sold and it worked decently well. You are right about the Torchic pop, and it completely went past me.

3 Likes