Price check of difference between BGS Pristine and Black lab

Does anyone know if there is that big a difference in price between a BGS with 3 subgrades of 10 and one of 9.5 and one with 4 subgrades of 10? The reason I ask is because I have just this dilemma. Seller wants $55 on the 3 subgrades of 10 and $150 for the four subgrades of 10 one. Card I’m looking at is this 1998 video promo pikachu card (apparently the front is plastic but the back is card…).

I think black labels will always bring a much better premium, but I guess it depends how many black labels there are of that card.

When that auction was going on for the bgs10 charizard about a week ago I wondered if a 10 would bring 6 figures or not.

BGS black label cards from that era are almost unheard of, so yes there is a large premium for those grades. @garyis2000 graded the first BL pokemon card I bleleive (1st ed jungle non-holo Kangaskhan) but I can’t remember if it sold… ?

Are you referring to the CD promo shadowless pikachu? Any WOTC BL would be a needle in a haystack card, so would fetch quite a bit more under the right circumstances. MF cards however are a bit easier to grade in general. The CD promo pilachu was a MF card.

Is he talking about a cd shadowless pika?

If it’s an English gold or black then it makes a tremendous difference. Japanese not so much.

@garyis2000 that’s what I’m not sure of… he says it’s a video promo but he must mean the CD promo (?). I know the CD promo Pika was a media factory card, so not as valuable as from WOTC, esp. with the volume of CD promo copies available

Hold on I’ll get a photo of it

I’m not sure if these can get much higher grades because the front is plastic based (I think)…
pretty much I was looking at Pokemon card in pristine condition and came across this.

1 Like

I’ve never seen that before. What movie did that come with?

I don’t believe it came with a movie. I think it was a cd/video promo that came with a casette tape or something. But I am not 100% sure.

Oh yes. That card.
He’s been trying to sell it for years with no takers. Just a cheap novelty card that amazingly BGS graded.

I would think if you don’t already have one, and you were a Pikachu collector who didn’t mind sprouting out it could fit.
Personally, I’d say let it sit another 5 years;)

3 Likes

Yeh it’s not so much the card I was interested in but more a BGS 10 that I was looking for. And it was pretty much the cheapest I could find! It was between that and a Japanese Seviper that was going for 65. I’m gonna use it as a separator between my 1st ed base and jungle set that I’m displaying (Just received my pennzoni display case). But yeh I understand the card itself aint worth much!

I would go for this one over the Seviper too:)

1 Like

If the Seviper was TCG I would go for that one personally. :wink: If both aren’t non-TCG I dunno, since I like both Seviper and Pikachu. :laughing:

Could you perhaps link me to the Seviper, @spinch? I’m interested to see it now. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

Sure thing. And I’ve just looked at it, it’s actually a serperior but a bgs 10 nonetheless

www.ebay.com.au/itm/162630674092

Also, there is a Japanese flareon bgs 10 with a population of 1! Selling for $112 usd
www.ebay.com.au/itm/222616131883

And lastly a bgs 10 Japanese jumpluff for $50

www.ebay.com.au/itm/142188432501

Lol, that’s why I couldn’t find it. :laughing: Ah well, I have zero interest in a Serperior.

Btw, are there any BGS-graded Pokémon cards with 4x 10? The three you’ve linked all have 3x 10 + 1x 9.5.

Greetz,
Quuador

I could only find one from what I remember. I guess with these black labels if you had four 10s you’d want to get it regraded so I couldn’t even find any gold label ones.

www.ebay.com.au/itm/322452630695

My Black Label Kangaskahn started life as a 4x10s gold label. Then when they started the Black Labels I had it recased.
For sure it was the first ever Black Label Pokemon.

1 Like