Price check: 1st Ed. Base PSA 9 & 10 complete set

We’re all aware of the set that sold for $100,000 but I’m curious as to what the complete set of 9 and 10 would sell for in today’s market. One of my friends was asking what the current market is for complete sets.

I’m not sure about the complete set and whether or not that carries a premium, but if you wanted a rough idea on how much the set would cost to put together piece by piece you could go off last sold prices of the cards. An easy way would be to go here:
pokemonprice.com/CardsForSet/98247308-89bc-4ec3-8826-f9d55d1be471

Use the filter to show “1st Edition” and add up the last sale prices, then swap the last sale grade filter from 10 to 9 and repeat. You can probably copy and paste into excel and then just do a column calc rather than add up manually.

1 Like

I was kinda curious what the prices would be so I took my own advice and did it myself.

PSA 10 1st Ed Base: $74,823.20
PSA 9 1st Ed Base: $14,166.70

3 Likes

Are you saying that would be the total cost if you were to purchase each card piece by piece? And I would imagine that it does carry premium since you’re saying that the 10 set says it would cost 75,000 piece by piece and yeah it’s sold for 100,000.

It sold for $100k at the max hype not worth that much now

Yes those prices are roughly the total cost if you bought everything today piece by piece based on the last sold price of each card. Since prices fluctuate you are probably looking at a few grand +/- … and that price doesn’t include shipping obviously which would add up on so many individual packages.

But in today’s market how much would a complete 9 set go for?

PSA 9 1st Ed Base: $14,166.70

+/- a couple of grand. I don’t think there’s much premium on a complete set PSA 9, the cards are all very attainable price and supply wise at the moment.

I think the 10 set is up there with trophies. In that we have data points and not consistent availability/sales to quantify a strong trend.

Basically a 75k valuation is meaningless if none are available at that price.

1 Like

I would expect a complete 10 set to go for more than $75k, that valuation is just a rough sum of the parts if you were to buy everything individually. If someone has the funds to buy everything individually, they probably have the funds to pay a premium and save themselves the time and effort acquiring those cards individually. How much that premium is I don’t know, but I do know I would definitely pay more to get everything in one go rather than sitting on eBay for months.

2 Likes

I’m getting fewer and fewer messages for 1st Base 9 and 10 cards as well as all Japanese cards.
Seems the main wants now are lower grade 1st Base. It’s like there’s a storm brewin’,

3 Likes

What kinda storm? What does this mean? People are broke? People don’t want to pay the premium for the higher sets?

I think money is becoming too much of an issue for most people to actually enjoy the hobby to the fullest (PSA 10’s, best of the best, etc) so they are settling for the exact same card, but in a lower grade which is much more reasonable and affordable for many.

I think I’ll just stick to Gold Stars for now.

The hype is over.

Now we need to play the waiting game with long positions.

1 Like

agreed think 10s shadowless 1st edition even non holo set is out of most people price range last year so everyone going for the set went for 9s they went up alot because of this after that a call down but prices are going to go up again and now think PSA 9s holos are out of most peoples price ranage (charizard) so people would rather go for an 8 set rather than psa 9 set with an 8 charizard myself i would rather all the same grade and am sure alot of people agree

1 Like

Do you guys think this is across the board for people just grabbing lower grades grades or just with Base Set since cards can be worth 10-50 grand as opposed to 1-10 like with other sets?

I fairly recently sold a PSA 9 1st edition base set for $15.25k and when I estimated the numbers myself I put it at about $14k so this is cool to see.

5 Likes

Not me;)