1st Edition Base Set

Hey guys, I’m new here and found out about the board through smpratte’s youtube videos :blush: I collected the pokemon TCG when I was younger but I never had anyone to play with back then so ended up just sticking to the video games. I’m looking to start collecting a little more seriously now.

I’ve got the opportunity to buy a complete first edition base set from a local collector in “mint” condition all unplayed. They’re asking $5000 USD and of course I can inspect everything in person before making any commitment. Now I’m no stranger to card grading and condition albeit not pokemon (I’m a pretty serious collector of vintage BGS 9.5 magic the gathering cards) but I’m pretty confident in being able to determine whether or not something will grade a PSA 9 or not. My question is - is the price around current market value?

Being new to the serious side of collecting in the hobby I don’t want to just rush out and buy something without doing my due diligence so I wanted to ask your opinions, is that a fair price? I know condition is the major determining factor but if everything is actually as the seller says, ie. is mint and grades 9 across the board for all cards where would a set like that sit at currently market value? (roughly). I’ve tried to find info a completed auctions for full 1st edition base sets but there isn’t a lot of info out there that I could find.

Also are there any things in particular I should check for on the cards to determine authenticity? I have a loupe that’s pretty important for checking old magic the gathering cards but is that something I need for pokemon cards as well? Any tips specifically for base set that I should look at when inspecting?

Appreciate any insight you guys might have - cheers!

1 Like

Market value doesn’t really exist for this, because most people would grade the holos before selling. Pretty much if all Holos score a 9, you are looking at profit at the price listed, and that is not including the rest of the set. Authenticity of the card is pretty simple, there aren’t any quality base set shadowless fakes with the correct holo pattern, but the 1st edition symbol has been know to be stamped so check that.

If this is a true MINT lot at $5,000 (9s and 10s), you would be hard pressed to find a single buyer who wouldn’t jump on it (IMO).

2 Likes

If every card is truly mint (PSA 9 standards) then $5000 would be an amazing deal. That’s actually a too good to be true kind of deal. My guess is that the cards aren’t truly mint but there is also a chance they could be fake or not first edition. You shouldn’t need a glass to determine condition, just a good pair of eyes and some good lighting. I wouldn’t go through with the sale unless I was 100% confident in my ability to judge a card authentic.

1 Like

Condition of the Charizard Is the most important. There’s a $2000 price difference between an 8 and 9.

If everything was PSA 9+ that is a steal. Even the non holos can be a big score if you get some PSA 10s. If you don’t purchase let me know and I will send you the 5k.

1 Like

I’d take 8000 for my 103 card PSA 9 set if that tells you anything.

Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it :blush: I’ll meet up with the seller and see how it goes, will let everyone know.

Is the Holo pattern of first ed base different than unlimited base? And is there any way to tell this other than looking at first ed cards in person?

No, its the same pattern, I just mean they look like ![THIS.](http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg4ODU=/$(KGrHqF,!k8FH8uNjrN9BSG8dr09+g~~60_1.JPG?set_id=2). The fakes were awful then, those can easily be spotted as seen.

1 Like