Premium for Swirls in holographics

2 Likes

I personally have a big interest in swirls. I tend to pull more towards them naturally, and will be more willing to pay top price for one if the condition is right. If there are two equals and one with a swirl I got for the swirl. But condition is still a higher factor for me.

2 Likes

Another way for sellers to try and bleed more money outta people, like 4xxx certs, new labels etcā€¦ swirl premium, whatā€™s next?

2 Likes

i paid more for the neo disc espeon but thats on me it wasnt rly for sale and i just love the card so i was just like take my money

1 Like

I like 'em. I also like holo bleeds and errors.
Though Iā€™ve never gone out of my way to obtain one, I definitely appreciate them a bit more because of their uniqueness. Sue me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I mean, look at this beauty (not mine):

https://i.imgur.com/DMoQWKs.jpg

7 Likes

@pierce, if thereā€™s a market for it, can you really blame the seller?

2 Likes

Charging more for LP-HP cards for those suckers going for PSA1-PSA10 set.

They appeal to me and I appreciate them. Iā€™d pay a dollar or two more than average price for a nice swirl but definitely not a premium.

1 Like

How did the tootsie roll star thing even get started??? I remember it being a thing when I was in 2nd grade (1996)ā€¦ Crazy how it was spread around like it was.

I confess. I recently purchased a swirly card that I wouldnā€™t have bid on otherwise. But can you blame me? This swirl is just too good to pass on - and for ~35 USD it was a great deal no matter if swirl or not :wink:

7 Likes

oooh show us! I tooā€¦ love a good swirl.

@grinz, I understand the impulse to charge a premium, but im glad its not a thing. I have wondered about this to as some cards hit the swirl and others dont.

@smpratte, Tootsie Pop haha yes! these are things I noticed too as a kid and now understand its a symptom of the collector gene.

@@7l7l, haha I dont think this is a thing. but I wouldnt be upset if you found us some unknown gem on ebay with like 50 swirls in the background.

1 Like

Depends on what it is and how the market is created, if itā€™s something contrived like 4xxxx certs being ā€˜betterā€™ then yeah Iā€™ll blame the seller. All that needs to happen is an influential seller needs to start spouting something like that and people that donā€™t know any better believe it and start parroting it and it becomes a ā€˜thingā€™. So if some people with a vested interest ā€˜createā€™ a market or uses some used car salesman tactics to push item Iā€™ll 100% blame them.

4 Likes

$wirl! / 4xxxxxxxx!

#instagrammoneymakers

Ultimately the value of the card doesnā€™t change much at all. But if you had a choice of no swirl ot swirl, most people would go for the addition of a swirl on their cards.

For me Iā€™d probably only stretch to offering an additional $5-10 for a mid value card <$1000 which had a swirl and was of an identical quality to a card without a swirl. But thatā€™s just me, Iā€™m not going out of my way to get a swirly boi.

1 Like

What sets may have a swirl?

Helps that Bday Pikachu is one of my favourite cards of all time too :blush:

5 Likes

I believe any card with ā€œcosmosā€ foil can have a swirl!

Does anyone know otherwise?

everything from base set 2 to call of legends minus the delta sets with clear foil

@mimighster , itā€™s beautiful

Edit: Also this GIF fits this thread perfectly haha :laughing:

1 Like

@cavemantaco Haha thanks :blush:

You guys ready for this one ? Boom. Fist power! Literally just discovered this an hour ago.

7 Likes