Premium for Swirls in holographics

I find it funny when I see listings on eBay with SWIRLS in the title. That got me thinking while there must be collectors out there that go after holofoils with swirls in them exclusively, I doubt people get a premium on their pricing cause of it. What do you guys think? Should Holos with swirls be more expensive, what about the illusive double swirl?

2 Likes

If people want to pay premiums for swirls, more power to them. I’m not one of those people.

@grinz
Just another crappy way that some people use to get more money. You won’t lose anything by “missing the train” with such trend. :blush:

1 Like

I wouldn’t pay a premium, but I can appreciate a good swirl lol. I’ve got a Birthday Pikachu with a holo swirl right at the top of the central candle which I thought was pretty cool. But usually I don’t pay too much attention to them.

Just a nice little bonus, nothing I pay extra for :blush:

2 Likes

i might pay a small premium for a good swirl on a card that i like. it’s all about eye appeal, which is pretty much why some people pay more for nicer autos or cleaner holos. it’s not for everybody, but a small overpay for something that you enjoy probably won’t hurt you.

1 Like

It’s an Instagram thing.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say a premium, but that is what is great about a collecting community… I personally like the swirls and wouldn’t pay a premium, same as error cards but people do and that’s what collecting is all about. It could also be a trend as someone else mentioned too.

double the swirl, double the price

2 Likes

The idea that a card is superior because of where it was placed on the holo paper is strange to me.

I‘d pay about as much extra for a swirl as I would for a “holo bleed.” No extra.

1 Like

Swirls always remind me of the tootsie roll pop wrappers. The rumor If you got the Indian shooting a star you could get free candy.

8 Likes

wow thats some boomer candy. use to eat these at my grandmas every time i went over. never knew about this

2 Likes

Anyone know the record number of swirls on one card?

1 Like

I would and I have paid a premium for a well-placed swirl. I pay for what I enjoy, and how cool is it to have a swirl coming out of Charizard’s mouth? I don’t care whether the card is only worth $175. If I like it, I’ll pay $200 for it lol. That said, I probably wouldn’t pay a percentage premium on higher end cards - maybe just capped at an extra $100 or something.

2 Likes

The swirl is just a recurring pattern on the roll of foil. It all depends on how much they’re spaced a part and if they happen to line up in the art frame or not. So that also depends on the sheet, how it’s fed into, cut off from previous. But really, don’t dig into this. A Charizard with a perfect swirl isn’t suddenly worth $5k more.

If people will pay more, people will charge more.
I like them but don’t chase them by any means

1 Like

Let’s just say I’d gladly put the word “swirl” in my listings but wouldn’t pay a dollar more for one

7 Likes

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

2 Likes

The market is so large that I’m not surprised it’s an interest. They are subtle, but I can understand the appeal.

2 Likes

This question poses quite striking similarities to that of “which card will be more valuable in x years?” lol

As Mr. Owl said, “the world may never know”. :blush:

2 Likes