Potential scratching caused by sleeves ?

Hi guys

Was just wondering is it possible for the holo to get minor scratching from being taken out of the sleeve? If so then what would happen say for example your card is immaculate then psa pulls it out and in doing so the sleeve causes mini scratching? Is it possible ?

Probably not but just wondering :grimacing::grimacing:

Only if the sleeve is dirty, damaged or has debris floating around, using a new sleeve would totally eliminate any risk

1 Like

While this thread is here, thoughts on the kmc perfect fit sleeves? Think they could bend the cards over time due to the tight fit? or even cause damage?

I’m going to tell you something that will blow your mind Jake…

When cards are submit to PSA, they take them out of the sleeve and put them back into the Card Saver without sleeves.

Not kidding.

They cause warping and make it very hard to pull the card out.

2 Likes

I heard that after they take the cards out of the sleeve, they move them into special custom Cards Savers made entirely from 180 grit sandpaper.

8 Likes

Hi, Wolffy68, official representative from PSA here to confirm this statement.

4 Likes

If you ever might be sending a card off to PSA, save yourself the headache and use a penny sleeve. You run a 50% chance in my experience of making a little bit of corner whitening when putting cards in perfect fits in post-WoTC era cards. I learned my lesson after turning a bunch of PSA 10s into 9s this way.

1 Like

You’re right. I use KMC sleeves for long term storage in a zipfolio side loading binder, but if you intend to grade them EVER, you need to be SUPER careful because it can knick the corner a tiny bit.

:joy::joy: okay I’ll try that :wink:

In the vintage sports world it’s common to not use sleeves and they’re grading cards worth a ton more than ours.

I’ve been meaning to ask PSA if theyre down to do a filming of a grading. They had on on their website but it looks ancient. Wouldn’t mind doing a new one for them since I’m local.

For security reason there’s zero chance of that at either PSA or BGS.

haha thanks :blush:. The most positive take away is to not be so gullible in the future. Only thing I can do is laugh about it now. And you guys have been super helpful and friendly overall. I can tell its a tight knit community here as everyone will go from roasting one another to helping one another to having an intelligent discussion

1 Like