Scratches From Penny Sleeve?

I’ve noticed a handful of very, very tiny perfectly vertical scratches on some WOTC era cards I had purchased a few months ago. It’s possible I simply missed these imperfections when I bought them since they only appear in specific angles when under a really bright light. Normally I’m pretty careful about handling cards and never touch the holo portion.

Lately I’ve wondered if these scratches are from the sleeve. To test this, I took a near worthless WOTC foil and moved it in and out of its sleeve for a bit. Didn’t notice any scratching with lightly removing the card as usual. Only when I firmly press against the sleeve and card over the course of 20+ removes/inserts do I start to notice any kind of scratching starting to take place. The thing is, I don’t normally take my cards out of sleeves and when I do, I am never forceful with anything.

Anyone else noticed scratching appearing in old WOTC holos and suspect it has to do with its sleeve?

Never have. Doesn’t seem possible unless you try.

1 Like

Use new/clean sleeves and it shouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

Thing is these are brand new penny sleeves straight out of the pack. Guess I’ll just chalk it up to those scratches being there when I purchased the card and overlooked them.

Penny sleeves, i doubt it very much.
If it was purchased it 2nd hand, for its age you dont know what it has been through. In older times people didnt go to the “extremes” of protecting cards although they thought they were preserving them to the best of their ability. Taking cards in and out of 9 pocket sleeves numerous times could effect it as described for example but you just never know.

Unless there was dirt on the card itself before the new sleeve.