Poor selling sets in the WOTC era

In the modern TCG we have sets like Crimson Invasion that haven’t sold well at all - what were some of these sets back in the early days? I realize we don’t have sales numbers or anything like that, but does anyone remember which sets stuck on shelves for the longest period of time? At the time I was too young to notice something as minuscule as this, but thought some of you may be able to recall.

Base Set 2

8 Likes

That would make sense considering you can still pick packs up on the cheaper side. I know that the e-Series sets probably sold way less due to decrease in popularity.

Nobody liked Team Rocket when it came out. Would always see the booster boxes full when it was at the store.

Base 2 had a lot of hype since it gave another chance at the original artwork charizard, still wouldn’t sell as good as Base and Jungle did. Since it was releazed way too soon.

Fossil I would also say there wasn’t a huge demand either compared to Base.

Base Set and Jungle were the only ones where the boxes were always empty at the local card shop.

I stopped collecting after Rocket.

I remember back in the day, my friends and I did not like legendary collection set when it came out. We thought the reverse holos were fakes lol. We told are parents not to buy those packs haha. I definitely appreciate legendary collection now though! As far as how well it sold compared to other WOTC sets, I have no idea. But I do know we never wanted any!

1 Like

The only thing that I remember owning from Legendary Collection was the Charizard theme deck. I got it as a gift and always thought it was such a cool looking box. I appreciate the reverse cards now that I am older from a collector standpoint, but in general find them to be pretty ugly.

Legendary collection I remember. Like mentioned above we thought the reverse cards were not real cards…it was a let down that it was reprint set when there were fresh e series sets next to it that I was more drawn to. the theme deck zard made it feel like a money grab.

Now In 2018 though…all I dream about is legendary collection lol.

I remember being really sad whenever I got a base set 2 booster pack. Just felt like a fake version of the unlimited/jungle print runs and the set stamp ruined a lot of cards for me aesthetically. Literally every other pokemon set I was excited for as a kid except that one.

In retrospect I’d have to also agree with base2 though at the time I remember people scrambling for them because of the lack of options.

Same here… my ~12/13/14 year old self used to buy some binder collections of kids, i probably destroyed/threw away about 100reverse legendary (and later on also ‘normal’ ones once i saw the setSymbol + decided all those cards were fake…)

Still don’t understand the strange design for the reverse holo’s, gives a ‘sticker’ feeling to it imo

in Australia, anything e-series, literally, hay stacks were rolling past the card shops