Poll: Lugia V versus Lugia V

Who did it best??

• Lugia V alt art (left)
  • Lugia V regular (right)

0 voters

I love Kawayoo and to see him getting a Lugia Alt Art and knocking it out of the park is just perfection.

2 Likes

Although the Arita Lugia is phenomenal, it really only focuses on Lugia itself. This is of course expected. For most regular V cards, the illustration is all about the individual Pokemon.

The alternate art depicts Lugia in a broader environment. It really tells its own story. It has more depth. This has become a hallmark of all the alternate art cards. I think this is the very feature that makes the alt arts so unique and special.

3 Likes

I’m thinking the alt art will grow on me, but the angle just comes across as awkward to me. As if today, I prefer the regular art.

Beasts high above

11 Likes

Same for me. If you rotated the artwork 90 degrees, it does look better, but from this angle it just doesn’t seem right.

There are a fair few other cards which also make you question whether the artist has got the proportions right.

Normally I think I’d choose the left photo, but for some reason it was tough for my eyes to focus on any one thing and it kinda detracted from its appeal to me.

While Arita’s is simpler, I was more able to appreciate the art as I know what’s going on in it.

On quick glance I feel that Kawayoo’s is better, but upon deeper inspection it’s hard to tell apart the individual layers of the art.

The Lugia on the left looks awkward

2 Likes

The fisherman with spiked hair and a whip in his hands ruins the alt art for me. It’s all I can focus on.

I’m being a bit picky here because to me it’s a great piece of art, but I feel that the alt art could have been that bit more special. It’s just a bit too reminiscent of Shining Gyarados (which incidentally is one of my favourite cards). Lugia’s one of if not my favourite Pokémon since watching the 2000 movie as a kid, and they definitely could have made a spectacular scene involving Lugia, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres based on the battle in that movie.

I know we’re just comparing renders of the artwork but the fact that one of these is going to be a glossy, cheap looking, untextured card, already makes me prefer the Lugia alt art in person.

This looks really amazing when you put all 3 together. I can’t wait to start building an Alt Art collection at some point.

I can’t believe anybody could vote for Lugia V instead of Lugia V. Some people have no taste, I swear.

6 Likes

Its easy to see why someone would vote for the Lugia V though, its just so much better looking than the Lugia V.

2 Likes

Got to wait for some anniversary edition to bring back Lugia V as a textured card.

Very few normal Vs would deserve it though. So much CGI trash.