Poll: Do you currently watch the Pokemon anime?

I am curious where e4 stands on these questions.

Do you currently watch the Pokemon anime?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

If you used to watch the anime but no longer, which season did you leave off on?
  • Gen 1
  • Gen 2
  • Gen 3
  • Gen 4
  • Gen 5
  • Gen 6
  • Gen 7
  • Currently watch

0 voters

Will you consider watching the Scarlet/Violet anime?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I tried rewatching season 1 and it is surprisingly unwatchable. Pokemon makes honest to god dogshit shows that not even nostalgia can carry. The shorts or miniseries they make are amazing though.

7 Likes

i watched on and off. didn’t follow every week, but would watch whenever there was an interesting episode.

i do wonder what will be their plans going forward, is liko going to be the next protagonist for 10+ years? or will they adopt the series format of chaging cast every few seasons similar to other anime like yugioh, digimon, beyblade, bakugan and others do.

I always recommend Sun & Moon (Alola) to those who have strong, negative, opinions about the anime. It is shockingly good. SW/SH is also quite good but I find it to be much more variable than Alola.

1 Like

I can’t really stand the animation and character design anymore but I still watch the movies especially for Japanese practice and because the quality tends to be significantly better. I am also reading through the manga slowly.

1 Like

I enjoyed XYZ, but somehow did not get into Sun and Moon much. Probably the character animation seemed a bit childish to me. However, Journeys was on Netflix and was convenient and I throughly enjoyed it. Goh was a great companion as well.

I highly recommend all of the mini-series on the Pokemon TV website. They tell really great stories and have excellent animation as well.

That being said, I will watch Horizons as it seems a new direction. So I am pleasantly curious what it would be. I hope it’s not generic Pokemon anime flow with Ash being replaced. Since there are two protagonists I hope they end up as rivals showcasing two different styles of training etc. I also want worthy successors to Jesse, James and Meowth.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I’m sorry bro, I’m also a no…

I frequently put on the Indigo League or Orange Islands as a comfort background show and still love it. I prefer that old hand drawn look and of course the original cast.

8 Likes

I watched Gen 1-2 on VHS. Gen 3 I vaguely remember watching but mainly seeing the movie with Jirachi in it. I stopped watching the anime and movies sometime during Gen 4 which is when I lost interest in Pokemon.

I usually throw on Gen 1-2 on the side while playing Pokemon but nostalgia aside, they don’t hold up. The team rocket puns do not help, I’m sorry. Though I’m sure kids would still enjoy them.

Quit watching whole episodes regularly around Advanced Battle but I watched scenes here and there until mid Gen 5. Watched Generations and then almost nothing since.

I got more than enough of Team Rocket after the first half of Indigo League, considered them just an annoying, unnecessary evil after that. If we had streaming and youtube back then I’m sure I would’ve just skipped past them, looking back I have no idea how I managed. Completely unbearable and mind-numbingly repetitive.

I will say in Team Rocket’s defense that they may very well have had the most tear-jerking moment in the entire series when they let Arbok and Weezing go. That episode was right up there with “Bye Bye, Butterfree” in terms of sadness.

1 Like

True, that was a really good episode. There are some exceptions. The episode with James’s family is another one and the Meowth backstory episode of course.

I also think they do a better job of incorporating them into the movies than the actual series.

2 Likes

I think I stopped watching sometime in whatever seasons covered Johto. I haven’t really watched any of the main anime since then, save for some random clips of battles on Youtube, but I do tune into the miniseries that are released (Origins, Generations, PokeToons, etc.) and really enjoy them.

I am shocked by how few collectors watch the anime! :exploding_head:

Not the Anime. As of lately vie been on a binge re-watching all the Pokémon movies that i use to as a kid, even the newer ones. HIGHLY recommend “Pokémon the Movie: Secrets of the Jungle” on Netflix. The story and character development is way better than I anticipated that is enjoyable to watch even for a young adult.

ZARUDE!

Love the major boomer response.

I watched and rewatch from the first episode through the end of Johto era. As a kid I hated when the orginal gang broke up and misty was replaced with May, and it still irks me to this day, so its hard to watch beyond that point. I always feel like i want to watch all of it but it seems impossible to catch up at this point. I did watch and enjoy Pokemon Journeys though.

I am surprised to see people saying they don’t like Team Rocket - even when I watch as an adult, I live for their puns. I am as sad to see them leave the anime as i am for the end of Ash and Pikachu.

2 Likes

I watch Japanese anime on a daily basis, and Pokémon is just one of them. :person_shrugging: Although I must admit there are a lot better anime than Pokémon, and it can get pretty repetitive at times, I still enjoy watching it regardless, and have watched all 1200+ episodes; 25+ movies; and almost all 50+ specials (the ones I could find online at least) over the years. :sweat_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

8 Likes

I say this with no disrespect, but I don’t watch the anime because it’s a kids show; and I’m not a big anime fan.

1 Like

I watched the previous season and thought it was pretty good. I’m currently not watching the ongoing show but it’s in my bookmarks , I do intend to watch it but not right now. The upcoming season I will try out as well but that’s something for later.

Besides pokemon I watch allot of other anime so my days are pretty full already, there is just so much out there. Made a myanimelist account purely to know what I have and have not watched so far. :smiley: