Poll: Do you consider VMAX cards as full arts?

Vote here

I can’t articulate a reason why they wouldn’t be? They are literally full artwork cards with texture but it feels kind of weird calling them full arts. Thoughts?

1 Like

Damn, good question. I’ve always considered VMAX as their own category. Regular V → Full Art V → VMAX → Secret VMAX / Alternate Art

1 Like

I added a poll directly on the site!

4 Likes

Thank you!

Full art is a rarity term not an aesthetic term. Full arts are at the end of the set list whereas regular V Max are within the regular set list. For example regular Celebi V and V MAX can have a common grass type card next in the set list but Full Arts will always have a ultra/secret rare next in the set list. In English it’s divided between ultra rare (within the 198 set number) and secret rare (past 198). In Japanese there are distinct rarity terms RR, RRR, SR, HR etc. to make this clearer.

English:
Celebi V - 007/198
Celebi V MAX – 008/198
Celebi V Full Art - 160/198
Celebi V MAX Full Art Rainbow - 199/198

Japanese:
Celebi V - 003/070 RR
Celebi V MAX - 004/070 RRR
Celebi V Full Art - 071/070 SR
Celebi V MAX Full Art Rainbow - 084/070 HR

3 Likes

I consider full arts to be the umbrella term for any alternate extended textured artwork of the base-tier card, so Japanese set cards that are SR or higher fall into that category. Special art and HR cards are then a subcategory of full arts.
e.g.
Rayquaza VMAX 047/067 RRR (base)
Rayquaza VMAX 082/067 HR (full art - hyper)
Rayquaza VMAX 083/067 HR (full art - special art)

The same applies to V cards
e.g.
Rayquaza V 046/067 RR (base)
Rayquaza V 075/067 SR (full art)
Rayquaza V 076/067 SR (full art - special art)

In English, the extended textured artworks for Pokémon V (both alternate and non-alternate) are not secret rares but they are still full art versions of their respective base-tier cards.
e.g.
Glaceon V 040/203 (base)
Glaceon V 174/203 (full art)
Glaceon V 175/203 (full art - alternate art)
Glaceon VMAX 025/203 (base)
Glaceon VMAX 208/203 (full art - rainbow)
Glaceon VMAX 209/203 (full art - alternate art)

1 Like

Full Art makes no sense it’s a bad term.

For pokemon talking about appearance it’s if the art uses the boarder but trainers are full art trainers and don’t use the boarder

If you say it’s rarity that also makes no sense because full arts sit in multiple different rarity slots.

Conclusion it makes my ebay listing closer to 80/80.

2 Likes

In the sense of Pokemon adapting the Topps layout, yes. But full arts are nowhere near as bad as Vmax, so no in that sense.

1 Like

I voted yes as they fill the entire frame of the card and they have texturing. Is “Full Art” an official term? I would be inclined to change my mind if TPCi/TPC categorizes specific cards as FA. I always assumed FA is a fan/advertising term.

1 Like

Interesting point, I kind of think full art is a fan term. If it is an official term it would have some kind of guidelines I assume. But if it’s a fan term that the definition is literally just going to vary from person to person as it’s opinion based.
And good luck trying to get an entire massive fan base to all agree on a single thing :laughing:

“If a card is full of art, it’s a full art card.” - Albert Einstein, 2013.

5 Likes

I know many people hate them but I love the rainbow cards. They’re some of my faves to come out of the TCG in a long time. I count them as full arts