Pokemon ZUKAN Jumbo Carddass 1997 (SUGIMORI) Unpeeled

Hello, today I’ll post a picture from my collection: it’s about the Carddass Jumbo Zukan card set complete of all 12 jumbos.

If I’m not mistaken the back can be peeled off revealing artworks by Ken Sugimori, but I’ll wait for someone to confirm that^^

[Since I have a spare set I’m also curious about the value since I’d like to sell them, I think on ebay there are 3 sets at around 200$ to 380$ each and I think I saw smpratte selling them on his ebay a while ago]

8 Likes

Wow definitely some of the best artwork all in one set!

1 Like

So these are stickers? I love the art!

1 Like

Yep, you can peel the stickers and reveal a secret artwork that lies under the stickers^^

I also have another set of old Jumbos with artworks from the TV Anime where you can peel off little rectangles and reveal new scenes from the anime!

1 Like

Hey Andrea,

I think you’re about right with the price range on that set - that’s around where I’ve seen them as well. In case this would be helpful, there’s another set of 6 cards in case you’re interested in collecting other similar cards. Those also feature some cool/unique early Sugimori art (as well as one fan favorite…) once peeled:

1, 2 & 3:

Pokemon Jumbo Carddass 1, 2, 3

4, 5 & 6
Pokemon Jumbo Carddass 1

4, 5 & 6 Peeled:
Pokemon Jumbo Carddass Peeled

If you’re vigilant, they pop up every so often on eBay or Yahoo Japan.

Best,
Gareth

1 Like

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for confirming the price range and sharing those pictures, I have 2 peeled among the ones you posted, but I never knew how to look for them, especially on Yahoo. I’d love to get them eventually, that old artwork has such a nice vibe**

Thank you for sharing^^

2 Likes

@andrea, Of course!

For the set of 6, I have no idea how to price them. They seem to be relatively rare, but also pretty niche and unknown, at least so far. There’s just not much info out there about them. I’ve seen a few cards listed for a couple hundred, all the way up to a couple thousand dollars for the whole set in good condition, but some of those were 1-3 years ago.

These are the terms I use on Yahoo JP via Buyee:

カードダス ポケモン
Carddass Pokemon

バンダイ ポケモン ジャンボ カードダス
Bandai Pokemon Jumbo Carddass

ポケモン ジャンボ カードダス
Pokemon Jumbo Carddass

Hope that helps. Happy hunting :blush:

Best,
Gareth

1 Like

Awesome thank you for sharing on how to search them on Japanese, I’ll also try to add the Sugimori name to see if it helps restrict the research^^

(Happy to finally meet someone else that collects this kind of Japanese niche stuff)

1 Like

No problem. It’s worth a shot – good luck in your searches!

Absolutely, it’s always cool to find another collector of the same niche! I post every now and the on my instagram pagel it’s fun to share some of those more obscure finds. Especially if you like Sugimori’s style – some of the coolest original Sugimori watercolor art can be found in 95/96 Japanese Pokemon promo material, Bandai/Carddass etc. And you can see how the character design has evolved over time. Charizard with one horn, Charmander with spikes, fat Pikachu for example.

I regularly have to stop myself from randomly buying the old gameboy guides for this exact reason.

1 Like

Yesss, I have the complete Carddass set illustrated by Sugimori and I love to find that kind of artwork, just like your profile picture^^

I don’t have IG because I’m already losing to much time on facebook ahahaah if you a page there I’ll follow you on FB.

1 Like

OMG, been looking for the 1st 3 jumbo cards since I got back into the hobby. Keep an eye out on ebay because you might get lucky. Check out how much I paid for my set.
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401651486611

2 Likes

Yep I remember that listing on eBay and that it was over 200$ I think, definitely a good price (based on condition of the cards), but I didn’t like the fact that you couldn’t see the condition/state in full of every card.

1 Like