Pokemon you're surprised aren't more popular than they actually are

Eh, Greninja is insanely popular. Infernape is a pretty popular Pokemon, too. The starters definitely aren’t as popular now as they were back in Gens 1/2/3, but you still have some well-liked starters sprinkled in here and there.

I’m a bit surprised Kleavor isn’t getting more love. I think it’s a cool addition with nice design in already very liked family and it kinda completes a rock-paper-scissors feeling of the trio. Not sure if it suffers from the same issue than i think scizor somewhat has since scyther is so popular that some people dislike the idea that it evolves

3 Likes

I think this might be because Kleavor is very new and also wasn’t released in a mainline game, which is something we’ve never really seen before. There are probably a lot of very casual Pokemon fans who don’t even know Kleavor exists.

1 Like

True, but i also saw it get a lot of hate on it when released which really got me off guard. Some of it may be the common hate towards new pokemon until people get used to them but still felt it really doesn’t deserve all of it

1 Like

Well sure, but thats one of 24 (and one of 72 if we go all the way with each evo) and I just think for what they are and what they represent in each generation that id expect to see far more enjoyment and liking for them than is actually seen. Youll get those bits and pieces but the significance of them as a whole I just dont think is honored enough if that makes sense. But yeah maybe they just arent liked for reasons of not impacting people like those first few eras or actual disliking of designs and whatnot, but it is what it is lol

My Gen 2 pick has to be Marill. He was so popular he had a nickname before his actual name was released! Probably up there with Mew in discovery popularity!
Where today he is just there, not really mentioned much at all. For me I always think of the “Pikablu” era whenever I see Marill.

27 Likes

My bois
images
image-427

I also think the poliwag line is criminally underrated

8 Likes

Fun fact: Poliwhirl is Satoshi Tajiri’s favorite Pokemon and was actually one of the mascots early on. It was center stage on the front page of Time Magazine in 1999:

In addition, Poliwag was also Red’s first Pokemon in the manga, and Poliwhirl was one of the gold cards handed out at Burger King back in the day.

As time passed, Gamefreak realized Poliwhirl simply wasn’t catching on, so they abandoned it as a prime mascot.

16 Likes

Ho-Oh. I know it’s an already popular Pokémon, but it’s first episode anime appearance gave room to think it would have been an everlasting symbol of the entire franchise, and not only one of the many legendaries, known almost exclusively for the tale of Raikou, Suicune and Entei. I think the primary reason of it not being so extremely popular was the decision to not make Gen 2 the Pokémon final one as initially planned, in a way that it’s overshadowed by Mewtwo (of the very first generation), and the latest legendaries that are created with every brand new gen.

9 Likes

Ho-oh also gets overshadowed by Lugia even though I think Ho-oh is infinitely cooler.

13 Likes

Oh yea, I know they were initially trying to push Poliwhirl as a mascot! I read the Pokemon Adventures manga as well (which I highly recommend to anyone who hasn’t read it) and I really enjoyed the Poli representation. I wish they were a bit more creative with their nicknaming, but oh well lol. I know Clefairy (or maybe it was Jigglypuff?) was also originally a mascot, but the Pikachu love just took over. It’s too bad Poliwhirl didn’t catch on, I personally think they’re great Pokemon!!

2 Likes

Gen 2 starters haven’t had a good card since HGSS era :smiling_face_with_tear: Feraligatr is so grossly underused it makes me sick.

7 Likes

I know most people prefer Typhlosion, but Feraligatr is easily my favorite Gen 2 starter. That entire evolution line is fantastic.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I think Poliwhirl is the only middle evolution better than final evolution?

Magmar & Electabuzz

2 Likes

feel like glaceon and leafeon get the short end of the eeveelution stick sometimes.

1 Like

Absolutely love Golem. Definitely deserves more love.

19 Likes

And Rhydon.

3 Likes

I feel like that’s kinda cheating though because those final evos came after debut of the evo line

1 Like