Pokémon TCG price increase for Europe - New Duties Tax

An UK based website just launched their Lost Thunder pre-orders with a little higher prices, they state the following reason:

More shops to follow?

3 Likes

10% shouldn’t be much of a deterrent for Pokemon buyers/collectors?

oh no…

True, but it makes the gap with US pricing even bigger :confused:

You can buy boxes for $90 USD or so.
Cheapest I can find is 95 euro, that’s $110 USD.

That’s a +22% difference.

So it’s not 10%? It’s 22%? That’s getting up there.

Got emails about this from distributors a few weeks ago.
I hope they can start producing them in europe like mtg and yugioh

1 Like

how much are the import taxes in the european union?
I have to pay like 10%, which makes importing from the US cheaper than buying it here.

People will continue to buy regardless of how much extra they have to spend. That’s the power of the emotional connection most people have to the franchise. The general issue with increases like this is that now collectors have essentially 10% less disposable income to put toward their collection. As I’m sure you know Gary [From Pawnstars], it’s not a positive thing for collectors or sellers.

i already refrain from buying tcg related products at the local stores, 7 Euro for a pack is just simply way too much… it’s hard to fathom they’re increasing the cost even further.
that’s roughly 8+ dollar… whereas in the states you can buy that same pack for 3 bucks if not even less…
it’s crazy.

2 Likes

Are packs 7 euros now? I haven’t bought packs in The Netherlands in more than a decade, but I figured they would still be like 5 euros (was 4.5 Gulden / 3.5 euros on release in 1999/2000, and was increased to 4.25 euros a few years later). Last time I checked in my local Intertoys folder about three years ago it was still 4.75 euros…

But boxes and packs outside the US are already more expensive (just had a small discussion about that yesterday). And I’m assuming our collectors Down Under Australia most likely got it even worse…

Greetz,
Quuador

Just will make me buy singles more for less than £15.

In Belgium you just pay the standard VAT rate on top of it. The VAT rate is 21%.

Can’t wait to see this increase hitting Finland. The current price range is already 4 euros ( large game stores ) to 5,5-6 euros ( grocery stores and other small sellers ).

1 Like

Denmarks import: 160,- dkk (~ $25) + 25% of item + shipping price.

Same thing happening here (Netherlands)- all prereleases are raised from 25€ to atleast 30€ (some even asking 35, roughly 40$ for 8 boosterpacks) and these prereleases are supposed to be cheaper then the ‘normal’ in store packs. This will probably mean that thunderClapSparkThing boosters are going to go around 5.5/6€ (almost 7$ a pack, redicoulous)

Besides that the set is gonna have 200+ cards, meaning real shitty pullrates for the few good common/uncommon and GX cards… The tcgPlayer in me is really afraid of stupendous prices for the few singles/cards i need to buy for deckbuilding purpouses- nobody is gonna rip some cases open to sell singles here & buying’m online (with new taxes and borderControl giving me all these extra importShit to pay) is gonna be a real pain in the ass(wallet).

3 Likes

Also, the UK is indeed right now the cheapest. But this can change pretty soon with the Brexit that’s in progress?

It’s fairly crazy that Pokémon doesn’t produce in Europe, since there are lots of European-exclusive products (jumbo’s instead of figures in the boxes) and also European-exclusive languages (German).