Pokemon TCG enters China market, we should worry or be merry?

The Chinese people in China they adore all things western, for example; iphone, KFC, Louis Vuitton, etc.

Pokemon China would print cards in their language but they will prefer the English version once they know* about Pokemon TCG. Once they do, they would become a HUGE influx of new collectors!

That spells increased demand which eventually will drive up the prices of modern and especially vintage cards.

*Most people in China do not know about Pokemon TCG.

1 Like

*Most people in China do not know about Pokemon TCG.

what’s the source for this? i have a feeling pokemon is pretty well known globally?

1 Like

Why would it be a bad thing if more people are enjoying the hobby?

7 Likes

I think Chinese buyers will be more inclined to buy Japanese. At the end of the day, throwing Chinese buyers into the mix usually makes things a lot more competitive which has some drawbacks but it also brings a lot of benefits.

1 Like

I think mainly demand for high end japanese cards and exclusive japanese promos will go up if the China market launch is a success.

More demand will drive prices of cards up. (Editted comment for clarity.)

Withdrawn comment, sorry for digressing too much.

Interesting, when I listed a Japanese card on eBay recently the only realistic offers I got were from 3 Chinese buyers… You’re making some very bold assumptions here

Just airing my 2 cents opinions, which are not bold at all if you’ve been reading the news

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. There are Chinese buyers buying high end japanese trophy cards already sir.

In case if you don’t know.
https://instagram.com/xiao_xiao666666?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That’s not true at all, what is your source for that?
Many Japanese companies do plenty of business in China, and vice versa. Maybe instead of reading the news you should try speaking to actual Chinese people.
I’m sensing a strong anti-Chinese vibe from you, why is that? Do you believe that Chinese people shouldn’t be allowed to enjoy the same things as you?

1 Like

I think you’re mixing political views into the discussion and I don’t like where you’re going. The hobby is for everyone to enjoy, regardless of whatever differences there are. I have friends from China who are just as geeky about Pokemon as I am. The franchise has been there for a while. You can check out collaborations they did, most recently that I know of is with Razer keyboards and mouse. Only released in China.

4 Likes

Hey y’all. Let’s stop stereotyping. This forum is not the right place to be making assumptions about others based on their demographic characteristics. Stereotyping the 1.4+ billion people who live in China is hurtful and unproductive to the conversation.

1 Like

More new collectors means more demand,
more demand will drive up prices of English cards.

I just don’t know why I should be upset if someone from China wants to buy English cards while I’m over here buying Japanese cards.

3 Likes

Before covid, English Pokemon cards were affordable.
During and after covid, new influx of collectors drive up prices.
Now with another new influx of collectors from China, prices would rise even higher.

Pre covid prices were higher than pre pokemon go prices because of American adults getting into or back into the hobby. We all got into this hobby because of a love for pokemon. You and I are just as much to ‘blame’ for higher prices now than previous years. Go with the flow and adapt to new prices instead of blaming fellow collectors/pokemon fans and you’ll be a lot happier.

Ha ha, not blaming but worrying because prices are already so high now. One Rayquaza gold star PSA 10 now is a cool 5-digit sum.

I have already collected what I wanted so far in vintage, so… maybe like some of you mentioned, we should be merry and happy to watch the prices soar!

Editted: Didn’t know there’s already an existing thread on this topic. Sorry, could I request mods to close this thread? Thanks

Merry.

More people add more exposure to the hobby; more people we enjoy and collect with each other for many years to come.

I am not sure which language on cards they’ll be interested in. Most likely Chinese first and then probably Japanese second.

1 Like

There was already a trend starting where more folk were seeing their cards selling to folk in China, so I don’t think that this will drastically increase the amount of people collecting English and Japanese cards that wasn’t already happening.

Remember as well that Chinese haven’t suddenly gained access to the TCG. They have had access to the TCG all along, it’s just now in their native language. I think the effect will be more on a ground level where kids who can’t read English will be able to play it and go to events and build their own little Pokekid culture with it. It will also depend on what sort of support the TCG gets. Will there be unique promos, events, and prizes for Chinese kids at their local tournaments like the Japanese get? Or will Chinese get the same GX/EX/V Box rinse and repeat that westerners froth over.

Time will tell. Any rich billionaire Chinese will be buying cards that are far out of my sphere of possibility anyway. What do I care if some billionaire chinese kid buys a trophy karn and bumps the price up another 30k. Ohhhh noooo that card I could never afford anyway is now less affordable.

2 Likes