Pokemon Scarlet/Violet Video Game Discussion

Same! I saw crocolar with his little hat and was excited for the final evo, but it just feels ok.

5 Likes

0/10 no zubat

1 Like

I saw some incredible artist renditions of the final evolutions before the release and they look so much better than Meowscarada, Skeledirge, and Quaquaval.

8 Likes

gonna have to bonk that last artist.

Suchili does look badass, though.

1 Like

I’m usually not one to complain about a new gen, since all gens have both good and bad designed PokĂ©mon imo. But this time I do think PokĂ©mon is becoming more and more lazy in their designs
 :roll_eyes:

Three evolution line examples (yes, those are different Pokémon
):

Or how about Dudunsparce: both its name and its body simply got a little duplicated section attached
 :sweat:

I also don’t really get the new regionals that aren’t really regionals
 Like the Wiglett and Wugtrio; Toedscool and Toedscruel; and Wooper-Paldea and Clodsire:

If you’re gonna make regional forms, at least just call them Paldea insert_PokĂ©mon_name_here like you always have. Actually, I think the Wooper actually is a regional form, and the others not. :confused: And there are also three different forms for Tauros:

Anyway, having said that, there are some PokĂ©mon designs I quite like again. Although it’s not the best final Fire starter, I do think it’s still pretty good, and much better than the humanoid Grass and Water starters as mentioned by others.

These Grass/Ghost designs are pretty original as well:

And the saber-tooth ferret/polecat and leaves snail are pretty cool as well:

Here is a list of all new PokĂ©mon that have been revealed thus far in the Scarlet & Violet games, for those who haven’t seen it yet.

Greetz,
Quuador

15 Likes

Should have specified. By bipedal I meant anthropomorphic.

For better or worse I think this gen will be very memorable.

4 Likes

The tentacool and diglett Pokémon are based on convergent evolution. Whereas regional forms are the normal Pokémon that have adapted to a different environment, convergent forms are completely separate species that evolved to resemble other Pokémon. Also note that Wiglett and Toedscool are eels and mushrooms respectively. No where near related to moles and jellyfish. For all other regional forms, the Pokémon are the same or similar species

4 Likes

So I’m about 12 hours into the game. I maintain that the graphics issues are ridiculous. It pulls you completely out of the immersion while playing.

However, I’m not going to pretend that I’m not having a fantastic time nonetheless. Here’s my trainer character and ace, Jehuty, the Scizor. I’ve used Scizor as my ace for SwSh, PLA, and now Scarlet/Violet, and it hasn’t disappointed once. When you stop moving for a minute or so, Scizor kneels down into some samurai meditation stance thing. Pretty badass.

10 Likes

I’ve always been a fan of Tauros but the new black version with red is probably my new favorite of the new wave of mons.

4 Likes

First shiny this game

7 Likes

The baby starters designs are pretty good, especially quaxly and then they made the ugliest starters to date (except for fire starter). The fact that that “curmawl” is legitimately better designed than 99% of the new pokemon is pretty pathetic on pokemons part. I get the time crunch of a new game every 2 years, but theres no excuse for the absolute dogwater pokemon designs.

2 Likes

I would love to see a “Kids React” video to these Pokemon designs. Maybe my age is skewing my reaction.

It would be interesting to see kids that have never seen a pokemon and see in general if they would prefer older and newer designs. I mean kids have terrible tastes, but if thats their target audience for these games and they like these new designs I suppose it doesn’t really matter to gamefreak/nintendo.

Going through all the pokemon so far shown in the new games, I just found that many of them I struggled to really identify what they were really going with. While some are obvious and there are some decent designs, excluding regional variants there are several pokemon where I just don’t even make out what their purpose is. I can’t really tell based on their appearance what their typing is or what their theme is supposed to be at all. If you are not easily conveying to me what the pokemon is supposed to be or its type, it’s poorly designed which I think would make it safe to say many of these pokemon are objectively worse than older generations.

2 Likes

I don’t think that I can go this far, but I do admit that my eyebrows were raised on a few design choices :eyes:. Which ones do you like/dislike specifically?

I strongly disagree with that last statement. Many early gen PokĂ©mon were based on Japanese folklore that would be obvious to absolutely no one except Japanese people. I personally enjoy a PokĂ©mon’s design the more I learn about it’s inspirations, especially if I didn’t like it prior to understanding it’s concept. I don’t think you can make any objective claim about any of the generations.

2 Likes

3 Likes

@Dyl Notable ones I dislike are gholdengo, Grafaiai, Kilowattrel, Cetitan line and the horrid abbomination Quaquaval. Those lines vary from, “I cant even tell what youre trying to be” (Cetitan, Grafaiai) to “lazy uninspired designs” (Kilowattrel)or honestly ugly and very disconnected from typical pokemon designs (gholdengo). It seems each gen since say gen 3 has had aspects in the pokemon design that aren’t very good imo and seem to persist. Such as “use yellow and zigzags to represent electricity” starting with say manectrike in gen 3 and in Kilowattrel in this gen. Or say just odd color palates for pokemon such as Crocal (an otherwise decent design but looks like it should be the shiny variant).

Notably good designs are Brambleghast, Arboliva and Greavard line.

@tonysandlin Although liking or disliking a pokemon is entirely subjective, I think we can definitely critique the designs in the same way you can critique a movie. Like sure you could say “we can’t make any objective claims about the quality difference between lord of the rings and Michael bays transformers” but lets be honest, you can. Everyone loves to say “blinded by nostalgia genwunners” and yes gen one has some dud designs but I think its totally fair to say overall (especially with starters) the design of recent pokemon have gotten worse. If you don’t feel the same, agree to disagree.

1 Like

i havent read any spoilers/ reviews so far, but holy fuck this game is unplayable. SM had a lot of cutscenes but the game was fine, and I liked SWSH and Legends Arceus (not to say that they shouldn’t have been much better), but what is this. i’m running into more glitches/ invisible walls/ lag since release day Cyberpunk. not to mention the camera angles on TV mode are really frustrating. BotW came out almost 6 years ago, like come on. i cant even get into the graphics, design, or story because i’m trying to get this 6 year old kid to run in a straight line.

also, why does the guy look 6 years old. wtf.

if you couldnt tell, i really want to like pokemon games, but they make it so hard.

2 Likes

The dunsparce is literally taking the piss out of some people who have waited for an evolution for years. And I one hundred percent agree that design is getting really lazy. I wonder if all ideas were just used up at some point and they refused to look at fan ideas for inspiration.

1 Like