Pokémon over the next year?

I know it’s impossible to foresee/predict the future. But do you think the Pokémon market will explode line 2016 & 2020 over the next year?

I only ask, because I’m planning to make a big Pokémon goal/purchase but I have to wait about 6-8 months to do it. So I’m just nervous I’ll just be priced out completely at that point.

Am I just being anxious for no reason?

whatcha buying?

2 Likes

It seems the longer we are removed from 2020, the closer we are getting to normal.

High end stuff is an exception

7 Likes

I really hope so. I just need like 10 months :sweat_smile:

Or for all of Pokémon cards to tank so I can get it for cheaper lol

Maybe a fire lizard :fire::lizard::eyes:

2 Likes

My crystal ball says that pokemon is dying and you should sell your cards at a loss (preferably to me).

2 Likes

You make a very intriguing offer

no

no

there could always be a random spike like the jp waifu market last year (which retracted back to “normal”), but pokemon’s general popularity is still extremely high. the potential of a huge wave of new buyers to fluff up the market as a whole is close to zero any time soon imo.

1 Like

1st edition base fire lizard has been pretty steady for the last two years as far as Ive seen. If anything it might even be less expensive 8 months from if I had to guess. I doubt we will see a price spike any time soon in this economy. Thats my humble opinion from someone who knows very little :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

It may or may not be a 1st edition fire lizard. Hopefully I can make it happen

Thank you for putting up with my anxiety :sweat_smile:

This is why I love efour

4 Likes

The 30th anniversary is approaching. We will see.

2026 right? I’m just concerned about 2024 over here :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Really hard to say. Right now things like Bitcoin and tech stocks have been leading the charge in financial markets. These are generally seen as more ‘risk-on’ investments which may suggest that the financial markets see cheap money and lower interest rates coming over the next couple years compared to the higher interest money tightening that has happened since 2022. This could eventually funnel money into more luxury goods, which could include things like Pokemon or collectibles sort of like the Covid era which had historic low interest rates and other craziness that created many short-term bubbles.

So, personally I feel that you could see a small to modest rise in various Pokemon cards over the next year or 2 compared to the past 2 years as people may have a more risk-on attitude towards investing across the board. I just don’t think it’ll be exponential movement in prices, but perhaps more linear this time around.

I think that overall the heavier price corrections and selling have occurred in many investments, and the market has largely flushed out a lot of flippers and speculators that were around in 2020/2021 from Pokemon. Depending on how the economy plays out fundamentally, I think you still have lots of time to buy Pokemon cards. Right now many people are still struggling with cost of living and other issues and most likely will be for some time yet. Wait for your opportunity, the patience will pay off.

Not in 2024 unless Pokemon presses the panic button and releases some Pokemon x Starwars collab and eyes are turned back to the franchise.

Modern
Looking at the upcoming sets alone, it is just going downhill as the SV DLC pokemons on cover arts are unlikely to move the market. I expect a new higher rarity to be released for Stellar Tera form, either near to worlds/after worlds 2024. Perhaps that + mega returning to Pokemon in 2025 can catch some eyes.

Vintage
I expect to see more sales records here and there, especially with crypto doing well people might turn to vintage for diversification of their investments. Stuff like 1st ed 8/9 zard will probably be expensive compared to 2023, though cards of that calibre will always have some form of fluctuation with each auction, regardless of market conditions.

2 Likes

In an 8 or 9?

1 Like

An 8. If it’s too expensive for an 8 in 1st ed in 10 months I’ll just get a psa 9 shadowless and call it a day.

I think it can hold under 13k until then, let’s hope at least

1 Like

Some have said the explosion was never equal in attention.

So even if some part of the market explodes, it may have no real movement on another.

1 Like

I hope so. We’ll see