Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Howdy everyone! I have been wanting to buy one of the past mystery dungeon games that had come out for the DS/3DS. Have any of you played them? What did you think of it? Is it worth it to buy? I am curious because the game looks fun! Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

The explorers series are among my favorite games of all time and the reason why I collect celebi. highly recommend getting explorers of sky, you’ll get a great story ,awesome dialogue and music, and 50+ hours of gameplay. It can be grind heavy though as some people say, but I never felt it being tedious at any point.

4 Likes

explorers of sky is god tier

original red/blue rescue team also great

theyre some of the hardest pokemon games in the postgame, the reset 99f dungeons are ridiculous

6 Likes

@vic, @caslon, I may have to get explorers of the sky then, thank you both for the recommendation. I am interested in trying this game for sure and I also do enjoy Celebi haha! Celebi is one of my favorite pokemon! I really enjoy when there is a lot to a game because it keeps you doing something ya know? Lots of content is what makes a game fun!

I absolutely loved Red/Blue Rescue Team, I think it might be worth it to play one of the Explorers games since the remakes are gonna be out next month and they’ll likely be very similar to the originals.

2 Likes

@thane, then I think I may have my choice in which one to get haha! do each of the mystery dungeon games have certain pokemon in them, like are they geared towards a specific generation of pokemon or is it just mixed in each game?

They came out at the same interval as the main series games so yeah there’s gen 3, 4, etc. I haven’t played anything past Explorers of Time but I know those games had version specific mons you could only find in each game as well.

1 Like

I played the original mystery dungeon. It was legit af. I recently replayed it and I couldn’t put it down. I downloaded the new one coming out soon for the switch and while I’m not crazy for the artwork, I’ll still cop it.

1 Like

I might like Explorers of Sky even more than Emerald, and I absolutely love Emerald.

1 Like

The mystery dungeon games are my favourite Pokemon spin off series. As others have said, I’d probably pick up Sky and then get the remakes of Red/Blue in a months time. I’ve heard Super Mystery Dungeon is ok too, but it has a new recruit system and the old recruit system was one of my favourite things about the earlier games, so I passed. Whatever you do don’t buy gates to infinity though, it’s not worth your time.

1 Like

@thane, ooh okay, I gotcha. I really loved the gen 2 pokemon so I was hoping to play one with a lot of the gen 2 pokemon and some other gen ones haha
@gengarbrigade, first off I really love your username, I love gengar! I also love haunter and gastly, the show with their episode in kanto made me love them. second, I now want to purchase one of the past mystery dungeons even more! I actually downloaded the free demo for the new one coming out, last night, just to see how the gameplay is and I honestly adore it! So cute and love that it’s just pokemon I think that’s pretty cool.
@mossdeep Everyone loves the explorers of sky on here and now I really think I am going to have to play that one first haha!
@mimighster, I shall make a note not to buy the gates to infinity. I honestly think I’m going to get the one everyone on the post is saying, explorers of sky. I downloaded the free demo of the new one last night, to get an idea of how the gameplay is, I love the concept of it! It’s adorable and I can’t wait to get explorers of sky as my first one to try.

3 Likes

If you liked the demo you’ll love the full game. Pretty soon after where the demo ends you get to unlock friend areas. These friend areas basically unlock a list of Pokemon (depending on which one you buy) that can recruited. So when you’re going through a dungeon, after knocking out a Pokemon it might request to join your team. So the more friend areas you have the more likely Pokemon are going to start asking to join whilst you play. Then you can visit the friend areas to see your recruited Pokemon and get them to join your main team for future missions if you want. The friend areas are like cute little biomes for certain types of Pokemon. It’s really satisfying filling them up, more satisfying than the Pokedex for me. Friend areas aren’t in Sky unfortunately, but are in Red/Blue and DX.

2 Likes

@mimighster, Ooh wow, thats actually really awesome! Do all of the explorers games not have friend areas either? All of this just sounds so cool to me and I love the concept of the game. I honestly think I would find that more satisfying too, to gain more friends to join your mission than completing the Pokédex. I think its really cute! If all the explorers games don’t have friend areas I think I am going to have to buy explorers of sky and either red or blue or DX. I want to experience all aspects of each of the games haha.

@danis04 You can recruit new Pokémon in explorers, but no, none of them have friend areas unfortunately. They have the Chimecho assembly which is basically just a list of your recruited Pokemon.

1 Like

@mimighster,ooh okay, I gotcha. Was explorers for the 3ds or regular ds? I’m wondering if the Nintendo eshop has it available for download

Regular DS

1 Like

@mimighster, awesome im going to buy it sometime within the next week! I can’t wait to play!

1 Like

3DS games suck. Sky is best the around game, Red + Blue are best for nostalgia for me. Best Pokemon spin-off imo.

1 Like

Since I haven’t played any of these, is this at all similar to the mobile game I was seeing in the Android apps that was something about a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Or is that straight up mobile game trash?

I would download the switch demo for a taste @merciersj .

2 Likes