Pokémon Making Headlines

I’m a day late but thought it was pretty cool that Pokémon is grabbing attention from the sports world

7 Likes

I don’t have it handy, but there was a meme that read:

“Every company’s dream”

“10 years old with 20 years of experience”

15 Likes

I legitimately hope that this isn’t the end of Ash. Not only because I think that this league win was forced, but because I seriously believe that his brand value is way underrated. Ash and Pikachu are the faces of the franchise, and I think that they are the single most important reason behind the survival of the anime over the likes of yugioh and digimon. I still keep up with the show and I love that I can watch any episode and see my childhood friends. I get that some people might be tired of his antics, but I think that it’s a temporary decision that most people would regret if they brought in a completely new protagonist.

The only way that I can see a reboot/ spin-off series working is if they use the same format as Generations, which I thought was exceptionally good. By using Red/ Gold/ they have some brand value, but this would most likely appeal to an older audience who would more likely value a better story, art, and animation. However, in the present time, it seems like the budget has been cut because of viewership and the direction is set to focus on a younger audience.

I’m sorry if this isn’t the place for this, but I would highly, highly caution Pokemon in removing Ash from the anime. I think that moving Misty and Brock around might have been the necessary changes that the show wanted for variety, but even so, I don’t think that Cilan or Clemont came close to what the original show had to offer. Although, this may be because Pokemon wanted to shift its focus onto a different age demographic, I also believe that after Advance, the narrative completely switched from winning to friendship, which is alright I guess, but now even the special battles have been watered down. Here’s hoping that we go back to having a “being the very best” mentality in Gen 8.

I understand that there are a lot of other factors behind the success of the show, and I understand that sometimes it’s best to cut off a show before it becomes overly repetitive. I get that people were unhappy with Ash winning 8 badges and then throwing in the league over and over again, but now that he won, it actually feels worse that he won. I definitely don’t mind him winning, because I think that the show could still incorporate the E4 and the league champion for him to lose to. I think that there are still tons of new ideas to explore with, and I don’t think that any of them involve the removal of Ash, Pikachu, or even Team Rocket.

(Ideally, Pokemon keeps Ash and its younger viewers, but also brings back a full series Generations for everyone to enjoy.)

5 Likes

Maybe I should of kept watching after Indigo League, worth?

Btw the sports nation tweet got 125,000 retweets. I’m sure it was seen by easily 1,000,000+ people which is pretty cool

But it took ash this long to win? Wtf?

Does anyone else want to binge watch 20 years worth of Pokemon episodes right now?

3 Likes

I should have continued watching these past three weeks. I knew the tournament arc was ongoing, so I figured I’d wait until a few more episode were released before watching the entire tournament in one go. But in the past few days I’ve seen so many memes about this. Three days ago Bulbapedia was down for a few hours, and some tweets were also stating that it was because Ash won his first tournament (actually second - he won Orange Islands as well) in 20+ years. :laughing:

I watch anime pretty regularly, and although the Pokémon anime is pretty bad in comparison to loads of other animes, I still tend to continue watching it and still enjoy it tbh (despite being predictable overall).

Anyway, I think the main reason why Ash won this tournament is because of the complains in the last XYZ season… He should have won that final in that season… :confused: That was one of the few seasons where Ash actually looked kinda like his age (in the anime at least; he should be around 15/16 now).

And then Sun & Moon started with a new animation team, and instead he now looks younger than in the very first episode 20 years ago, rofl XD I mean, just look at that: :unamused:

Anyway, I think it’s hilarious it’s featured in a sport article, though. :grin: Thanks for sharing!

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes