Pokemon cards price analysis - September to December

Hey everyone. I’m excited to announce I am starting a new analysis series on Pokemon card prices and also in the future on Pokemon PSA populations. This is a sneak peek into what I am working towards and I would be really interested in everyone’s thoughts and feedback!

We all talk and are aware that Pokemon card prices generally increase over time. How much do the card prices actually increase though? I have picked 5 cards from 6 different Wizards of the Coast sets and analysed the prices realised between September 2017 and December 2017 below to look into this further.

The above analysis is quite interesting and shows that by far the main increase comes from the base set by far which is not surprising being the most sought after set. It may surprise some people but not all the cards increased in value and some cards declined in value too. I think the most interesting part of this analysis though is in theory if you owned each of the cards you would have had $22,965 of cards at September 2017, and three months later those cards would be worth $28,036! This is definitely a significant increase and is mostly attributable to the Blastoise and other base set holos.

For those of you who love sniping a bargain auction, I actually found a few really low priced cards from looking at this sales information. It goes to show there is real bargains out there if you look hard enough!

Answer to some questions that may be asked:

• How did you calculate the card prices : I used the eBay sales data available to calculate the price of the card as close as possible by looking at the average sale price. Two problems with this was if a best offer was taken, eBay does not list the best offer price and some cards did not have many sales and hence analysing a card that had one sale was not as meaningful as analysing a card with ten sales. I can only use the information available and this analysis is meant to be something interesting to read rather than a strict price guide.

• Can you cover every card from a set : Potentially every card from particular sets in the future but definitely not every set and card due to the time it takes to collate the information.

• You can’t list Pokemon card prices as it changes constantly : This analysis aims to capture the recent sales that have occurred and see where the price movements are. It isn’t a price guide list and Pokemon card prices change very quickly so it can’t be used as one.

In the future I plan to expand this and I would love to hear your thoughts, feedback, constructive criticism and any recommendations. For those of you who are interested I have made a short video on it summarising some of my thoughts and also talking about the plans for these analysis videos in the future. Cheers guys!

18 Likes

You had me at analysis :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Great video!

For the best offer options, there is a way to see how much it sold for.

This website allows you to plug in the Item # or the URL of the listing and it shows you the sold price.

www.flippertools.com/tools/ebayOfferHistory/ebay-best-offer-actual-price.htm

2 Likes

Great content!

1 Like

Also, Watchcount.com

2 Likes

Haven’t watched the video but this looks good, I love analysis. I’ve wanted to keep a record of all PSA 10 1st edition holo and box sales so I can graph the results etc but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. PSA’s new auction prices data might be helpful if you’re not using it www.psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/1999-pokemon-game/charizard-holo/values/544028

3 Likes

Thank you! That is actually really helpful and I will use that going forward to make it as accurate as possible :blush:

1 Like

I love analysis too, I could look at numbers all day haha. :stuck_out_tongue: The box sales would be really interesting too. Thanks for the link, I had the link when I started the December analysis but I did the September analysis the manual way. That site will actually make this a lot easier going forward!

This is awesome to see. Would really like to see this for Neo and eseries!

1 Like

I was lucky enough to snag 1 of those steals you mentioned! Great idea with the analysis. Doing wotc booster boxes would be cool too.

1 Like

Great job. It would be nice to have a few of you guys do this for every big card from every set and sealed product,etc…

I thought the Pokemon Go bubble had burst though… yet the prices have either increased or have been stable. What is happening? :wink:

The Pokego bubble is a smaller bubble in the 1999 bubble, which is in the baseball card bubble, which that is in the art bubble, and the art bubble is in the cave painting bubble. Once ancient art begins to cave, it’s time to liquidate. :relieved:

3 Likes

Awesome analysis. I’ve been meaning to get around to something like this, but simply do not have the time. Personally, I would love to see more analysis on the first edition base set and shadowless base set!

I think it’s because pokemon go introduced new demand. I got reminded of pokemon during pokemon go, googled a little and found graded cards. Bought one for fun and got hooked. Haven’t really played pokemon go since then but still collecting cards.

In economics the demand curve shifted right permanently as a result of a new, larger buyer base. You see some retrace as there’s a supply response but it wasn’t as big a shift as the demand curve, hence prices remain fairly high relative to pre pokemon go

Would love to see 1st Edition Base, Shadowless and unlimited. I believe those have the most potential for growth other than gold stars in the next few years.

Overall great content.

1 Like

Hi this is my first post on e4 :blush:
Does anyone think the increase is due to the Holiday season? I’ts prime buying time Sept - Dec, what impact do you think this has on the Pokemon card market?