Pokémon card value is dropping?

If 9s are closing the gap on 10s then PSA 10 1st ed Base zard must have come down cause the psa 9 version has definitely lol

1 Like

PSA 10 1st ed Base zard’s are pretty much immune from price drops lol

I would like to think so but if one appeared on auction I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a drop

What’s considered a drop? Lower than $27,500 or $20,000? I’d agree one wouldn’t surprise me, but the other, I would be shocked.

I’m taking offers on the one I have listed. So far I’ve had offers of 24k, 25k, 25k, and 27,501.00. All these were from different people, 3 have bought from me before.
I assure you, that if I auctioned it it would not lower the average;)

2 Likes

I looked into buying a Mew Gold Star late last year for grading potential. I started browsing prices for 9’s which was around 350NZD. Fair, I thought to myself. My mew is due back soon, and now prices are around $500 - $550 sold. Personally I don’t think it’s dropping much.

Which gym challenge holos in particular have been going up? The non-holos don’t get a huge amount of interest but I am curious which holos you have noticed going up

Cheers

Just a normal market.

Look at crypto currencies. If you look at the past 2 months, it’s down like 70%. Yet when you look at long term growth, it’s huge. Long term is the only thing to worry about. Give it time.

Ive been trying to complete my crystal set so Ive been watching prices very carefully. The prices most certainy have not been dropping. PSA 9 are impissible to get under $200 in the last 3 months and Crobat especially has doubled in value in 2018. Lugia is also seeing strong price growth.

If a single card is still over $100 then the value hasn’t dropped at all imo.

A few months ago PSA 9 Lugia was pretty steady at $550 and recently i’ve been people selling them for $425-$450 and still not being able to sell. There has also been an abundance of PSA 10 crystal kabutops on the market lately causing them to drop quite significantly as well. I sold one in November for $620 and I recently just picked one up for $420 and have seen people selling around this price as well. The only reason Crobat has gone up is because it’s the lowest populated crystal and very rarely goes up for sale in public. I think a few others along with the ones I mentioned have definitely seen a downward trend as of late though.

@pokematt I have had the exact opposite experience with crystals. My experiences were similar to @pokeaddict84. I sold a psa 8 lugia for $400. And declined numerous offers $50 under that price point.

In general, certain cards are “down” from their literal record prices. Price fluctuation is a natural part of every market. But that isn’t a sign of “loss in value”. No offense to the op, or anyone else who generalizes 1 year of activity, but actual “value” is based on a long term trajectory. This is why when people said “fad” in 1999, the inherent implication is these cards won’t have long term value.

Rather than re-iterating how Pokemon has exceeding all other media franchises in revenue, flip open any price guide from 1999. Are most cards lower or higher? More specifically, what collectible from 1999 has more “value”?

4 Likes

Another thing I’d like to bring up is most of the low prices have been realised at auction. There’s always huge risk involved when one decides to throw an item at $0.99 NR auction. If you list a $500 card and it only earns $350 it doesn’t mean it’s down 30%. You took a risk and it didn’t pay off.

A perfect example of that would be the Shadowless Set auctioned off by pwcc not long ago.

I’m not saying we’re not seeing a downward trend when compared to some of the peak prices we have seen 2-3 months ago, but I would certainly not take a gamble auctioning off high end product at this current point in time.

This happens in every hobby. I was watching the Barett-Jackson car auctions and while many reached record breaking prices, some $100k+ cars got stolen for 30-50% market value. :blush:

1 Like

I guess this is more of what I have been looking at and therefore referring to when I say “downward trend”. Because many of these cards have hit their record prices in the past year, they can really only continue to go up or down but that also depends on a lot of different conditions. There have been a lot of cards though available lately for cheaper than record prices which is nice to see from a buyers perspective. In terms of overall value though, yes prices are way up of course.

I agree. I figured that is what you were highlighting. Especially the same cards that are aggressively being flipped today more than a year ago. The classic pattern of new prices incentivizing people to sell, the resulting increased availability naturally lowers the price.

1 Like

Could be

Normal fluctuation

or

Sector cooling

or

Speculators moving to different commodity

or

Start of downward trendtime will tell.

if it is generally a downward trend i wouldnt be surprised if it was also a reoccurring trend that in the future will have a major comeback, Pokemon always seems to bounce back!!

with all the history surrounding it i think it has a strong enough base to not fade away forever

Hey guys here’s some observations I’ve noticed. I’m a serious novice though as I’ve only been collecting in the “2nd Golden Age” for a couple months haha. But thought it would be fun to throw in my 2 cents (and that’s a bubble price, inflated by me ego.) Also realized recently you get badges for making posts. Nice!

Stuff doesn’t seem to be sitting around at certain price points very long. In terms of 1st edition base set I’ve noticed some BIN listings where I thought, wow thats a nice price let me think on that. Then the next day its gone. This happened to me 3 times the past week with 1st edition base holos. And I’m not scouring ebay every 5 minutes for deals.

If most of the dumping of product is being done my high volume/big store type sellers. It just seems like an opportunity for collectors to get good prices while the supply lasts. If you were a collector that acquired inventory over the years or just someone who started buying up like crazy a couple years ago. Maybe you’ve been trying to wait for that peak point to sell. If you see a decline you might say “liquidate! the 4 mewtwo of the pokopalpyse is upon us!” Thats all well and natural in markets I think. My friends in the stock market do that and I can never figure out why they always freak out when the market drops since it always goes up and down over and over again. I think ultimately the cards being spread out from 1 individual or store to several individuals will stabilize the market much more in the long run. Downside is its pushing down prices. Upside is maybe a more stable growing market long term?

It will be fun to see what the supply looks like in 3-5 years. Just my opinion though!

2 Likes

My record by The Quarrymen which I bought in the 1980s for 200.00 has gone up to 15,000.00, down to to 5,000.00 back up to 17,500 then down to 10,000 then up to nearly 20,000 and now it sits at around 15,000.
I don’t think anybody would describe that value as a downward trend. It has hit three different peaks and there’s no reason to believe it won’t hit a fourth.

Pokemon has hit peaks numerous times and keeps bouncing back. It has been, and is, a solid collectible. I believed that would be the case in 1999 when I socked 20.00 cards aside just like I did with that 200.00 vinyl record.

Another example is my scouring the news stands in 1979 for the Kiss blood comics #1. At 1.50 each they’ve jumped around a lot in value over the years. They’ve had numerous peaks but today they’re still giving me a 1000% profit.

Don’t judge a collectibles value on short term trends. Simply pay the going rate and enjoy them then somewhere down the road, 10 to 20 years from now, post a “do you remember when” thread here about how much you still love the card.

8 Likes