Pokémon 2000 pin Badges

Hi,

I have a client who has these enamel pin badges, as far as I can work out from the internet they were released in Australia only but I don’t know much more about the release. I’ve been trying to find listings on eBay for the Charizard pin and can’t find a single one! Would love to know more about release/rarity and I am trying to place a value on them so any guidance on that would be helpful too.

Thanks

Chris

4 Likes

You can find examples of this pin series on Australian eBay pretty easily, but none of them seem to have any information. From the looks of it, there was a line of “Pokémon 2000” retail merchandise that included pin sets, such as this similar but different series:

I suspect something similar for thee ones, probably just retail merchandise, but I can’t find any with packaging yet. :thinking:

Edit: The 2000 Olympics took place in Sydney, and we know there was a Pokémon presence surrounding this with multiple retail items available. Might be part of that promotion, although probably not explicitly tied to the Olympics.

Double Edit: See below from me!

5 Likes

I just found this YouTube video where a guy brought I think three boxes of sealed pins around 36 sets. Interestingly there were alot of duplicates, not sure if that means some pins are rarer than others then or just the way they were distributed from the factory mean you got alot of the same pins in one box? Pikachu doesn’t appear to rare but I don’t think he had one of the big three.

4 Likes

Just had the “duh” realization that Sydney was the location of the first Pokémon World Championship. For some reason I always thought all these “Pokémon 2000” items that were explicitly branded around Sydney had to do with the Olympics. I have no idea why I never made the very obvious connection that “Pokémon 2000” was the retail branding for the Worlds Event that took place in Sydney and had nothing to do with the Olympic event.

It’s good to question the things you take for granted! :grin:

3 Likes

Yes, these are Sydney, Australia exclusives that came in a pack of 5 with Pikachu guaranteed in the middle. :slight_smile: I personally am attempting to collect the full set and am missing the Charizard. I would love to work something out if the person is looking to sell and have some previous screenshots of similar listings. There was a sealed pack with Charizard in it that sold about a couple months back.

2 Likes

Hi,

They are looking to sell, it is actually a client of the auction house I work for and should be up for auction in October. We do international postage as well so if you want to bid register in advance online.

If you are able to send me screenshots of other listings that would be really helpful!

Thanks

Chris

Yeah for sure! I have bought quite a few packs from the UK and Australia (I’m in the US, myself) as well as Czech Republic so I’ve been scouting them out. I can definitely send screenshots.

1 Like

Just following up to say I DM’d you some screenshots of my personal purchase history. I’ve been snagging pretty much any that come up if they’re ones I don’t have so I have a pretty good history of what they’ve been selling for in the past year+. I have 3 buddies who have also purchased pins from eBay as well for around the same price; so I’m confident that the information I’m giving you is pretty standard at this point based on personal research and what I’ve seen from other collectors in the community. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is up for auction now if you are still looking! Ends on October the 13th.

Thank you so much for letting me know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey - new user here. Do you know what the whole set is worth?

Someone in my family happens to have the whole set of these but not sure what the value of it is?

1 Like

Hey, I would be happy to help. I am DMing you

Well, I guess it won’t let me DM you which is strange because I DM’d someone before. But I would be very interested if they are up to sell as I am collecting. :slight_smile:

Being able to send DM’s is based on trust levels which are based on activity. It’s just a security standard to prevent potential spam. You probably meet the requirement before to dm someone and then weren’t as active so it changed. Anyway I manually changed your trust level so you are good now!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I just sent them a DM now. I thought I was losing my mind not being able to send out another message lol

please… please tell me there isn’t a kabuto or kabutops :rofl: