PIKACHU 1ST ED JUNGLE BLACK STAR PROMO - WAS IT INTENTIONAL?

That’s insanse. Makes you think if there is something else we haven’t understood yet about other cards :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

English product was sold in stores over there in the early 2000s. Couple photos below :blush:

2 Likes

There is a video from @thecharizardauthorty where he shows a prototype Jungle pack that might shed additional information (I think it had the Pikachu text on it) but for the life of me I cannot find the video :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes

Very intriguing find! Maybe it was planned to be a secret rare, then scrapped at the last moment, only to be accidentally included in the packs? As someone else mentioned, it would be great if an ex-WOTC employee could shed some light on this.

@cavemantaco, English WOTC promos never had a 1st edition release. That’s why people refer to the 1st edition Ivy Pikachu promo as an error.

1 Like

That would be awesome to see! :grin:

@prochaos, awesome! I didn’t know it was so wide spread with the english product in Japan

1 Like

If this exists I need it!

**well well well what do we have here :sunglasses: @thecharizardauthorty

kudos to @pkmnflyingmaster for reminding us of it

16 Likes

@prochaos, WAIT WHAT?! I am actually freaking out right now. That is amazing!!!

What is the value on a psa 10 of this card?

9 Likes

There it is :blush:

Oh man, I remember these old TCA vids. The back of the pack probably has even more useful info

This is amazing. This thread, the community working together, the 20 year old mystery unfolding… simply amazing. And just what we need in difficult times like now! :blush:

6 Likes

Well I guess there is no more proof needed of the intent of WOTC to include a rare Pikachu card inside the jungle pack as a secret rare. The cherry on top would be a ex-employee coming forward with that confirmation.

Love how Rusty completely overlooks the text refering the Rare Pikachu on the video xD

I am jaw dropped with the unveiled information since yesterday ahah

6 Likes

Haha I know right – not a single mention of it. Not even like “Huh, wonder what thats about?” xD

I wonder if what we are seeing then in the magazine is images of a revised protoype.

Its possible Wotc used/sent revised prototype booster pack images like the one seen in TCAgaming video but with the final jungle artwork on them for the Magazine to run in print.

Can someone with a physical copy look at the magazine and see if those booster packs look like they are rewrapped prototypes like
the one seen in the TCAgaming video??
That would kinda explain the artwork being changed but still having the “Rare Pikachu” text

Doesnt look rewrapped, I think they’re just photoshopped.
You can see that the wrinkle/darkspots on the bottom of each pack is exactly the same!

1 Like

Love watching all the E4 “detectives” work. It really is fascinating:) Question…how do we know for sure that that text is referring to the Ivy Pikachu and not just an idea printed on a trial pack? I know I never pulled one out of a Jungle pack and I opened more than you could jump over.

2 Likes

There is no way to be sure unless a ex-WOTC employee can confirm it.

These are just conclusions taken from the info presented on the Japanese Trainers Magazine and now the mock pack shown by Rusty. Together with the existence of an extremely rare Promo Pikachu within Jungle 1st ed packs, with no real grounds on how it ended up there, makes, me at least, think that it was intentional and just another cool story around a rare card :blush:

2 Likes

There must be people out there that know the answer to this question too. I would love for @thecharizardauthorty to weigh in with his input since he owns the pack.

I can’t believe you never pulled one Gary! That kind of blows my mind. I love my PSA 9 copy even more now!

1 Like

TCA auctioned the pack off a few years ago, I was the second highest bidder :sob:

3 Likes