Paradise Resort selling for double to triple previous worlds participant promos

It seems that paradise resort is selling for more than double or triple some worlds participant promos that are a lot older than it. What’s the hype?

Let’s wait and see if it’s still at the same price in 3–6 months.

3 Likes

I would attribute it to a few related factors.

1. Japanese world’s promos have skyrocketed in price since world’s 2022 happened
  2. Japanese and Chinese resellers are a much much bigger factor this year
  3. Increase in demand for hyper modern cards across the board
  4. Increased attention and attendance to irl events

Basically, way more people care this year.

17 Likes
  1. First of a new named series for the Worlds promos (Paradise Resort 2023-) so there is incentive to jump on it before it might get even more expensive in the following years
4 Likes

This is purely my own personal view but I think this is not really a significant factor at all. For instance, if they called last year’s copy Paradise Resort as well, it would not have affected last year’s price nor would it have changed the price this year either. I think the demand was baked in even before the artwork/name was revealed.

4 Likes

I paid quite a bit for my staff one. I wanted it because of the name change and first time in Japan makes it very cool to me. Probably an overpay though :joy:

1 Like

They did reveal Paradise Resort during the Pokemon Presents a couple weeks ago. That may have helped generate some interest.

You have to also remember the fact that this years Worlds was probably the most expensive one to attend for both players and spectators.

People who were able to save a few thousand dollars by not attending, might be willing to drop more to get a copy. On the other side of that table, players/spectators who had to drop thousands on travel are going to be asking more to try and recoup the funds they spent to get there.

17 Likes

It’s also potentially the least playable worlds promo to date. I don’t think players are speculating on the future playability, it’s probably just collectors wanting a piece of Pokémon history.

1 Like

Pre 2020 prices are definitely gone, but these have already come down a bit. At first there were maybe 3-4 copies, now there are about 20 listings.

1 Like

Which card was given away at the WCS this year? The english paradise resort promo card?I haven’t seen a japanese variant. I see multiple listings for chinese, spanish, korean language of the same card, were these given away at some other event?

Competitors get a pack with all languages

1 Like

The cards are fairly new and I’d imagine demand is high when something hits the market for the first time. Maybe like we see with new sets and promos that come out, prices might adjust lower over time, at least the first few months?

4 Likes

ah gotcha thanks

Here you go, with a busted looking stamp lol

An interesting piece of anecdotal information for anyone looking to collect the Staff stamped version of Paradise Resort, here is a photo of this years staff members. Each member allegedly received 4 copies.

17 Likes

Somebody want to count them and get en estimate of how many cards are out there?:joy:

2 Likes

This is a great point! Its nuts seeing that photo. Tournaments a decade ago had a fraction of staff.

3 Likes

I’ll guess and say maybe somewhere in the ballpark of 500. But even if there were 1,000 staff members and every one of them received 4 copies, that’s still under 5,000. Which is fairly rare for a modern Pokémon card.

1 Like

This is one of those images where what you see is deceiving. It looks like a lot but you’re looking at basically every copy in one image. What you don’t see is the corresponding image with every possible buyer.

Realistically, a lot of staff will want to keep their copies. Some will sell all, some will keep 1, some will keep 4. You can effectively treat each person as having 3 copies from that alone.

Buyers are also buying multiple at time. I got 6 copies myself. I directly know a good 6-10 people who were at the event and would have bought one or more if they found the opportunity. I know one guy with over 30 that wasn’t planning on selling any of them.

4 Likes