OOYAMA autograph - real???

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Card-Exeggcute-signed-by-Oayama/353098249099?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I recently paid for this item. It hasn’t shipped yet. When I came across the listing, the signature looked good to me and I quickly bought it. The more I think about it and look into the seller, the more paranoid I’m getting. Here’s my concerns:

• Seller has many other signatures listed. The Sugimoris are very suspect to me, even the Arita ones feel off to me. They claim in some of the descriptions that they got them from a bulk collection in japan. Seeing some random English cards in there puts the story in question.- Seller’s low feedback. Additionally, the seller’s address appears to be in Italy (scam capital of the world - sorry, but my background is Italian so I’m allowed to say this :blush: ) but the items are apparently being shipped from Japan. It hasn’t shipped yet. I feel like this could be a dropshipper situation (which honestly I’m ok with)
    Overall I’m just getting bad vibes about this and want some other opinions. If you have additional OOYAMA signature examples, I’d love to see them. To me the sig itself looks pretty legitimate but I fear that OOYAMA might be a bit easier to forge since it’s rather simple. If you’ve seen this item on a Japanese auction site, please let me know.
3 Likes

Nope.

I find Arita’s autographs on the Alto Mare Latios/Latias quite dodgy as well, to be honest. Particularly the A’s and I in Arita. Not to say he is selling fakes, but some parts of the autographs seem like the person signing had to ‘retouch’ some parts, or was hesitant in some letters.

With such low feedback I’d steer clear from it as the risk reward ratio doesn’t seem to be on the buyer’s favour on this one.

Then again, if you don’t mind the hassle, you can always wait for it to arrive, inspect it and if not happy ask to return it.

I suggest canceling the order based on my opinion of the Sugimori signatures they are selling, which I am very familiar with.

www.ebay.it/sch/albbiam_0/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

1 Like

its really hard to tell without a comparison auto but im leaning towards fake but here are my honest opinions

The auto seems a bit slow and forced as in when you sign something you usually don’t see neat letters like the one in the listing unless you are purposely signing slowly to write clean letters. most autos are filled with pen/marker strike ups or downs especially near the end of letters like A and I which i see none of in the pictures. this could be reasoned by Ooyama was signing in English so maybe he took his time to write clean letters

Second the apostrophe before the date on the bottom seems a bit far from the numbers like the person who forged it didnt know it was an apostrophe but who knows maybe its just how he writes the dates.

overall it seems like the drawing itself was drawn very slowly as well as the lines are wobbly around the bottom side which usually doesnt happen to someone who has probably drawn that face thousands of times.

thats my 2 cents dont take me for an expert just my honest opinion.

1 Like

Swolepoke and I talked it over on discord. Apparently this seller sold other OOYAMAs earlier this year. I dont believe the sugimoris to be real and I have very extreme skepticism about the aritas. As Swolepoke really brought the point home for me, it’s hard to believe 99% of the sigs are fake and 1% are real.

I think I just needed the psychological boost to cancel because I feel partially at fault for failing to do due diligence before buying. I’ve requested a refund and the seller basically immediately complied without a response.

I think it’s worth leaving this thread open for any further discussion. If people have real OOYAMA examples I’d still like to see them since I wasn’t able to find many

3 Likes

I take it OOYAMA doesn’t sign often? I am not familiar with the sigs. @pkmnflyingmaster,

Here’s what I’ve kept on hand for Ooyama references:

There are some consistent things about these that I like that also exist on that Exeggcute. Just looking at the Exeggcute, I would say that it’s a good enough copy to buy and feel confident in. The seller is the problem here due to the fact that they’re also selling poor looking Arita and Sugimori autographs. If you do keep the Exeggcute, I wouldn’t feel too bad about it. It’s a good looking autograph, but I don’t blame you at all for being unsettled.

3 Likes

I am not an autograph expert by any means but I find it pretty suspect when I see an autograph on a random common card that isn’t even drawn by the same illustrator.

To be fair, there aren’t many OOYAMA cards to choose from, especially in 1999. No one is thinking about future value back then too

2 Likes

Here are some more references and a couple direct from a signing.

1 Like

**The only form similarity Im seeing is the date at the bottom, the face and his name dont look anything alike.

Ebay

Legitimate

2 Likes

these are 20 years apart so i dont know if that changes anything but yeah

1 Like

Case closed I think…

A lot of red flags.

I purchased a sealed lenticular Deoxys deck from this seller. They messaged me saying it had been sold in their physical store (are stores open in Italy or are they still in covid lock down?) that day but they had another copy they could sell me if I was interested. Very weird, they could’ve just sent the second copy and I wouldn’t have cared. normally would not want to cast so much doubt on unknown seller but combined with this autograph stuff I suspect they had listed a legit copy as bait and were trying to sell a resealed or fake sealed Deoxys deck. Would steer clear.

the ‘Y’ is what grabs my attention. much different in the fakes.

Yeah, I was looking at the Y as well, but I always was looking at the “O”. He seems to consistently start his O from the top, however the exeggcute starts from the side/bottom. I’m definitely no signing expert, but it feels like that consistency isn’t something that fades out of writing, even with concerted effort.

2 Likes